Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter STRV-103B finished.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 05:50 PM UTC
I must apologise at the onset that there is only one image to show at this stage, but I am so busy with family stuff that I have not had time to set up my camera.

So here is the one image I have so far of one of my latest builds, the STRV-103B from Trumpeter. As per usual I used Vallejo paints in the main, followed by oil washes and MIG pigments. This was the second kit that I thinned oils with lighter fluid and am very happy with the results.

I did do considerable research into what the correct colour was, which in the end was simply good old Russian Green!

I would also like to thank a most helpful modeller, Peter Bergstrom, from Sweden who assisted me with the correct dimensions of the road edge marking. I am an Civil Project Designer (Engineer) by profession and although I knew what the line marking arrangement was, was unsure of the correct width and hit/miss distances. A suitable post and the gentleman went out and measured the line type for me as well as providing scaled dimensions. A big thanks!

I was even more pleased to achieve a gold medal in Military (small) at WASMEx 2009.

I will provide an update as soon as I get the chance to break out the camera next week whilst on holidays.

Cheers

Mike

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
Michael, you are such a tease. With just the one photo it's really hard to comment but congratulations on your winning gold with it. Looks like an interesting little kit and one can definitely not determine it's scale.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, you are such a tease. With just the one photo it's really hard to comment but congratulations on your winning gold with it. Looks like an interesting little kit and one can definitely not determine it's scale.

Cheers,
Jan

Here are some more as promised

Hope you like them

Cheers

Mike
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 03:16 PM UTC
Michael,

VERY Nice! Looks like it's 1:35 instead of 1:72! You should take a picture with a coin beside your dio base for scale reference.

Congradulations on your Gold, too!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
That's better, Michael. A beautiful job on a rather interesting vehicle. Just curious but what are those things on the hatch without the machine gun?

Cheers,
Jan
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 05:16 AM UTC
The cylinders on top of the gunners hatch, are round holders for the mortar, fitted between the hatches for night ilumination rounds or smoke when needed.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
Beat me to it
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
Really cool build. I just love the vignette with the road and stuff. Went to prime portal to look at some pictures of the real thing and noted that most to all of the tanks there had an unusual three tone camo. Is this an earlier version of those and that's why it's one colour? Thanks for sharing your build and the inspiration it provides.

A.J.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 02:40 PM UTC
AJ, yes most of the S-tanks you see are STRV-103C versions with the same camo scheme as the Viggen. That tricolour scheme came later in the life of the STRV-103.

I was perplexed for some time to what actual colour green the overall colour actually was. But it turned out to be simply Russian Green.

Cheers

Mike
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 05:25 PM UTC
Michael,

Magnificant job!!! Congratulations on the Gold, well deserved. I agree with Jeff that your tank could pass for a 35th scale build. This is your best build to date. Excellent dio, really like the realistic ground work and roadway. Like the color transistion between the tank and ground work.

Michael, what are you using for the foliage, grass, and that shrubbery? It looks very convincing.
Thanks for sharing your builds, keep up the good work. Great set of photos too!

-Eddy
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
Mainly Woodland Scenics products. The road is fine grade wet and dry, drybrushed with Vallejo basalt grey to represent a fairly recently laid down asphalt reseal. Asphalt lays down black then slowly goes grey to brown (depending on fines type) as it ages.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 04:49 PM UTC
Michael,

Thanks for the reply . . . purchased some of the Woodland Senics products just a couple of blocks away from my home at the LHS.

-Eddy
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The cylinders on top of the gunners hatch, are round holders for the mortar, fitted between the hatches for night ilumination rounds or smoke when needed.

The 71 mm Lyran mortars was for illumination only but they where not fitted on the B-version.
They where introduced with the C-upgrade.
The smoke dischargers are fitted on the commanders cupola.

/Thord
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 01:38 PM UTC
Cheers for that.

My reference material for the STRV-103 series is a little sparse. I will add that to my build database so when I get around to the STRV-103C, the info is there.
 _GOTOTOP