_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
REVIEW
Small Ruins
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
Bill Cross reviews Dioramas Plus's "Small Ruins Kit."

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hey Bill, that building turned out quite nice in your hands! That Hetzer is the perfect size for it.
Andy
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thanks, Andy, for facilitating the review. I wanted to put a Panther I'm working on in there, but it was just too big, LOL!

Besides, the poor Hetzer needed a home. Hopefully this will keep it from getting bashed.

I'd actually like to put some peeled paint on one of the building walls. Anyone know of a good tutorial?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd actually like to put some peeled paint on one of the building walls. Anyone know of a good tutorial?

Ill have to dig around some of my model railroad stuff and see what kind of articles i find. I know somewhere there is an online website where a master modeler shares all his techniques for building and finishing some stunningly realistic buildings in large scale.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks, Andy, I have found nothing on this site, and even posted a query sometime back that got no replies. Peeled paint on buildings should be a no-brainer for us, what with exposed inner walls from bombing or shell damage.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Bill if you look at the miniart site and go to techniques thy show this using the salt techniques used for chipping on tanks. You coukld also play around with a sponge and some different paints on some scrap card and end up writing that tutorial yourself

Good review too Bill. I like the inclusion of the wooden laser-cut window frames. I'd love to try this range out but the mailing costs from the US are prohibitive, probably the same for you guys ordering from Europe
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good review too Bill. I like the inclusion of the wooden laser-cut window frames. I'd love to try this range out but the mailing costs from the US are prohibitive, probably the same for you guys ordering from Europe

Thanks, Pat. There are several companies in Europe with interesting dio materials that, like you say, are just too expensive to ship over here. Maybe if I get back to Europe on business, I can take a day for model hunting????
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
I'm not sure that the lack of any sidewalk can really be considered a 'glaring' weakness. After all, when a building with that kind of mass gets blown down, there are mountains of rubble. The sidewalk would be under several meters of it.

Urban dioramas are much easier when you spread that rubble around and they are more accurate too.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
That's a good point. Except that rubble can fall in strange ways. I have left some bare sidewalk on my build to show that (and will likely put some Volkssturm figures there later on).
 _GOTOTOP