_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paint recipes for rubber tires?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Howdy.
After seeing many variations of tires and different approaches on the colouring, what kind of basic recipes there are? Sure, the weathering will have great effect on the final look but you have to put something under there!
I mean especially Kübelwagen and similar vehicles. Tips needed! Share´em if you got´em!

Thanks,

Toni
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
I like to use RLM 74 (dark grey) for all rubber items. I like it better than straight black because I think it gives a nice scale, slightly faded effect. If you look at untreated tires on cars/trucks they are rarely black, but fade to a dirty grey, sometimes with a brown tint. Of course that doesn't account for the effects of dust and dirt, but its a starting point.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
I use Floquil Grimy Black, a very dark gray, close to ModelMaster Panzer Gray, for the base color. I used PollyS acrylic Grimy Black (same parent company) and found it was much lighter and needed a heavy wash of Payne's Gray oil to darken it up. From there it's a black wash and appropriate weathering.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC
I also use dark gray paint as a basic color and like to lightly spray Model Master Rubber color over it - this color is actually very dark brown, and gives the tint Greg mentioned.

Regards,
Pawel
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
Thanks for quick answers fellas, this is just what I needed!

Toni
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC
black undercoat, then scale black( polly scale), oily brown/black wash, finally dry brush with a medium gray. Dust color somtimes lighty srayed with tread drybrushed again with med gray.
capnjock
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
I am the same as Pawel. I use a dark undercoat, then spray Testors "Rubber" over it. I haven't seen the Model Master "Rubber", but Testors sounds just like it, being a very dark grimy brown color, so I'm assuming they are the same.

Mike

KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
I brush paint and my technique for tyres is to use a palette to mix matt black and matt grey as I paint. I put a puddle of grey on one side of the palette (usually an old plastic lid from spread /honey/whatever) and a puddle of black on the opposite and then drag the paint together with my brush. By only mixing and applying enough paint for one tyre at a time I get all my tyres a slightly different colour and a bit streaky as well.

I also paint the wheels in different shades. Despite the fact that every man and both his dogs tells me that a tank should be covered in mud, scratches and metallic highlights no-one seems to be aware that road wheels are a frequent casualty of rough terrain and therefore are changed as tyres get damaged or torn off.

It is therefore safe to assume that at any given time a tank will be fitted with wheels/tyres of different age/wear.

Regards Dave

:-)
Wildcat
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:01 PM UTC
hmmm,

try here:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/

go to the tools&paint section.they should have vinyl paint,which i hear is good for these sorts of things.the color depends on how old you want the tank to be.i also have an article on making realistic mud if your interested.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:31 PM UTC
Tamiya panzer grey, a wash of the colour to be used on the base ( earth etc), dry brush with dust etc on the sidewall, drybrush the tread with a panzergrey/semi-gloss black mix.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC
Dave is right, Tamiya Panzer Grey Or MM Acryl Engine Grey are almost the same color
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. I'll be using these recipes.

Cheers,
Gabe
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:14 AM UTC
Try Grimy Black and either mix it with, or dry brush on, Hot Rod Primer.

Art
kathoon
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
normally, i use dark grey, but i've found out that if you use sanding paper on them, it too looks good. (at least for me, and i've only used it on academy's "hummers")

greetz
Jan
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
I don't use any specific color rather I mix it up as I go. However, I did find out that if I started with black and added white to get the right rubber color it just did not look right. When I added to black to any dark gray it did look right. Don't know why it just worked out that way, at least to my eyes.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC
Aeromaster RLM66 is my choice for both aircraft and armor wheels. Nice dark grey they weathers up very nice. Flat black lightened with a touch of grey or white will work in a pinch too. Just be careful not to add too much. "Q"
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC
My tire technique is a little involved, but I've gotten positive feedback on it from other modelers.

I base-coat the tires in Panzer Grey/RLM 66. I prefer the Testor's MM Schwartzgrau. I let it cure for at least 2-3 days, then I apply a glaze of Raw Umber oils over the whole surface area of the tire. I feather and blend this from the rim to the edge, and from the edge to the center of the tread. I want the tire to look mostly the deep, deep dark brown of the Unber, with a hint of the dark grey showing through at the high points. I then lay in a deeper shadow around the rims, of Lamp Black or Ivory Black oil. Either works, but avoid Mars Black or any other shade that has a heavy blue tint to it. I blend this outwards into the Raw Umber, and also do a very narrow line of black from the center of the tread out to the edges, to simulate the least-worn part of the tire.

Once I'm satisfied with the smoothness of the oils, I let it dry.

When it's done drying, I work in any mud/dust/dirt effects I have planned for the vehicles. Do understand that I don't go to quite this much effort on roadwheels for tanks-- too many of them. They get a shorter treatment. I only go whole-hog like this for towed artillery and softskins (and armored cars).

Randy
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
My one is very simple: just give the tire (or roadwheel) a coat of any black I find and then I give a selective wash to the inset part of the tire with a colour matching with the ground settings of the base on which I'll put the vehicle on and finally I "shade" the tire mixing some lamp black and titanium white (oils from Winsor & Newton) and apply a very light drybrush with a lighter tone obtained mixing the two oils...
Ciao
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
This topic and the advice was very helpful to me regarding my M35A2 "Deuce and a half".

It's the first wheeled vehicle I've done in a very long time. I'm using the shades of gray and sandpaper approach at the moment.
 _GOTOTOP