_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Is this a good deal??
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
I have a chance to buy the Tamiya 18t. FAMO halftrack (TAM35239) NIB for $50. I have searched the internet for price comparison and seems like a good deal to me. Just wondering if the kit is worth it before I buy it. (Kinda like the 1/16 Kubelwagen I purchased for $40) Thanks in advance guys.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
That's well under retail, :-) people who've built it have loved it. Snag it up before someone else does, IMHO.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
Looks like a good deal to me.
Fun kit to build as well. I think I probably spent as much filling the back (including replacement figures) as I did on the kit.....
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
Buy it! Watch out for shipping though, get the S&H quote first. But if that's cheap snatch it up!
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thanks, thats what I thought. The cool thing about S&H, is my local hobby shop was selling it on Ebay...so no S&H, just pick it up!!
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Jason
I recently won a model on a E-bay auction. When I noticed that the seller was in just the next town.
I e-mailed him to see if I could just "pick the model up". I was informed that they had to send it by mail, or they would be breaking some sort of rule. so I had to pay the S&H.
Better check first!!

have fun
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I e-mailed him to see if I could just "pick the model up". I was informed that they had to send it by mail, or they would be breaking some sort of rule. so I had to pay the S&H.
Better check first!!

have fun

Not true! My wife won a set of dishes and arranged with the seller to meet half way between to avoid the risk of damage. The seller was likely gouging on the shipping/handling.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:16 AM UTC
I agree. It's a great kit especially at that price! I would definitely snag it!
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
that's an awesome deal!
What else have they got for sale? :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
That's a very good deal. Just think, with the money you saved you could buy the extra detail sets.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jason
I recently won a model on a E-bay auction. When I noticed that the seller was in just the next town.
Better check first!!

Before you hang the businessman for gouging, it might also be that the sale would have to be recorded differently for tax purposes if you were to come into the store and pay (sales tax would have to be applied) versus shipping elsewhere. Although these days, with the advent of eCommerce, tax laws are changing where mail order businesses are also starting to charge applicable tax for your location even if you do not live in the seller's state. Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, that might be what he is referring to.

Regardless of why he is charging S&H - nice buy!!!!
GR8Voyager
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
Grifter they have a FAMO w/ trailer for sale too...$97 + S&H on ebay for the next 20hrs...(buy only tho...no bidding). Thanks again guys.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:25 PM UTC
Jejak,

Congrats on the deal! Sounds like a piece of candy that I woould've taken.

Dave
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Turns out it was my local hobbyshop selling the FAMO, and since I'm such a good customer (i.e. I spend loads of cash there), the gentleman and I agreed that it would be much less hassle for me to pick the kit up at the shop rather than ship it (across town). I must say I was impressed when I opened the box. For $50 (store price $82) I got my money's worth...now to start building it!!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
remember that if you keep your eyes peeled on eBay you can pick up some great deals. I have gotten the M26 ARV for $40, the Dragon Wagon for $55, and the FAMO for $40. It took about 3 months of keeping an eye on things, keeping my bids at a set price (I lost LOTS of bids before I won), and making sure shipping was not excessive.

As for internet tax laws, unless something has changed recently, most states require that any sale be taxed, but it is not a enforced law...specifically because, who gets the sales tax? Buyer's state or sellers state? Most of the time if a seller is charging tax, it goes into his pocket...not always, but most of the time. I ran a internet business in South Dakota and had som egood discussions with their Dept. of Revenue people (lots of free time in SD) and they basically agreed that it would cost them more money to enforce the law than they would collect and everyone is waiting for either a Federal law to follow, or else a uniform set of state laws. Don't hold your breath guys. tax lawa are a real pain and a real mess, especially for us real little guys.

Finally, try model expo if you want to get a good deal on Tamiya kits...they sometimes cut prices by 25%...I got the Famo/trailer combo for $75.00...1/2 of retail.
 _GOTOTOP