Dragon Shermans, any goog?
modelpanzer
Visit this Community
Portugal
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC
Dear all,
I am going to jump to a Sherman groupbuild and I would like to ask if Dragon Sherman kits are any good

Thank you,

José César
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:04 AM UTC
Jose, I've built one Dragon Sherman and have a second in my stash waiting to be built. For the scale they are exceptionally detailed and I had minimal problems with my build. If you go to the Reviews Section here at Armorama you'll find several Dragon Shermans reviewed. You can find some pictures of my build on my modelling site. The completed build can be seen HERE. If you have any further questions about the construction, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
tread_geek
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
Jose,

I have a Firefly Vc in my stash that has excellent molding and detail. It appears that it should build into a VERY nice model equal to the detail of 1/35 kits I built in the late '70s and early '80s.
The Brail Scale Competition site has many completed models you can review - Braille Scale Compeition Firefly Vc
Two other sites for reviews and completed model examples are Modeling the Sherman Tank in 1/72nd Scale and On The Way!
I hope this helps...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
On the whole I like Dragon Shermans. I'm sure other will disagree but there are two things though I'm not crazy about them.

Many of the kits, like the Firefly, have only individual track links. I really don't think these are necessary on American tanks as they don't have the same sag as German and Russian tanks. The two DML tanks I've made with individual links, a Pz III and Valentine, the tracks weren't two hard as you only had to glue one link to another. On American tracks though you have to keep two links together, with a zig or some other method, while attaching two end connectors. That's more than twice the work as the other two tanks. What I wound up doing on my Operation Cobra Sherman was to use some perfectly serviceable Tamiya "rubber band" tracks from a spare kit.

The other thing is DML's habit of using sprues from different kits and adding new sprues to make another model of Sherman. This means you spend a great deal of time taking one part from one sprue, a couple parts from another, and more parts from another. It's a bit more frustrating and less enjoyable than it could be.

Other than those two gripes I have a number of DML Shermans and I look forward to making them. They are either the only game in town for some versions, or the best kit available, or the best value available.

modelpanzer
Visit this Community
Portugal
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
Many thanks gentleman.
I order ALL Dragon Sherman kits and guess some T-34 kits

José César
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
[quote] Many of the kits, like the Firefly, have only individual track links. I really don't think these are necessary on American tanks as they don't have the same sag as German and Russian tanks.[quote]

Hi Rodger

Do they do individual track links in their braille scale 1/72 scale kits? as this is what the question is posted in, as regards Sherman kits. Easy enough not to realise and post in the wrong "forum" , done it myself and no doubt will one day do it again.

Alan
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC
[quote][quote] Many of the kits, like the Firefly, have only individual track links. I really don't think these are necessary on American tanks as they don't have the same sag as German and Russian tanks.
Quoted Text

Hi Rodger

Do they do individual track links in their braille scale 1/72 scale kits? as this is what the question is posted in, as regards Sherman kits. Easy enough not to realise and post in the wrong "forum" , done it myself and no doubt will one day do it again.

Alan

DOH! It's been too long since I posted here regularly. I completely missed the "braille scale" Forget everthing I said about the DML Shermans, as I've never built one of their smaller scale kits. Oops.
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
I don't like the suspension in general. The bogie halfs don't match up well, one half has locating holes but the other half doesn't have the pins. One half articulates but the other half does not. Even after quite a bit of cleaning and test fitting I cannot seem to get them to match up well. Other than that I think they are very nice with outstanding detail. All three of my kits (M4A4, Sherman III, Sherman V "Tulip") came with one piece tracks.

Roy
 _GOTOTOP