_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
a living dio
grandad43
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 09:11 AM UTC
A living diorama
thanks to my grandaughter

I have been building military vehicles for the past few months with no where to store or display them
then one day about a week ago while I was planting a couple of young spruce trees in the garden spot with my 7 yo grandaughter assisting she turned to me and offhandily said "Pappy it sure would look right if you put some of your army men under those trees"
I looked a bit closer at the small young trees and exclaimed "Amber you have given me an Idea"
then jumpig in my pickup zi drove slowly through the pasture land that i own and began to locate and dig up all the small evergreen that I could find- none being over a foot high then replanting them close together as they would be in a real forest then using broken branches as dead trees and logs I had the making of a forest in Europe large and small flint rocks were used as to represent the granet cliffs
cut a river through the center and used smooth flint rocks in the river bed between the cliffs and built a road to the river a bridge over the river and cont on this side of the river now came the placing of the vehicle which I did in military convoy fashion still have to finish the figures and place them and am in the process of building a guard tower and the HQ Command center and the supply depot tent
the convoy
two jeeps a duce and a half full of supply's , a half track loaded with the ammo for four tanks a Stuart two Shermans ( one Bombed out sitting by the side of the road) and a Abrams and on the other side of the river waiting on them to cross a company of Ger man troop with a half track a swimwagon and a geman style command vehicle

tankman08
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 12:02 AM UTC
Fantastic idea Larry!!
Just wish i had the ground to try out the same in my back garden.. our gardens in the UK are generally much smaller and mines covered in paving stones!!
A few close-up pictures please.

Regards Paul
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC
Great idea, but I also had the idea, to place one of my vehicles in the near to my new small needle-tree. The tree was not in the garden or "open" to the weather.

Unfortunately, the small tree dried out in my flat.

greetings...
Soeren
grandad43
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC
hopfully these trees will live
I planted a few that size a few years ago and now they are chest high I didn't lose any of them
i covered the diorama with a tarp that i can walk under (a working area as it were) so when we have rain the dio will be protected somewhat Yet the greenery will still get the suns benetits abd withthe rain water flowing down the river and into the "Lake" thy will still get the water
larry
Jampie
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:27 PM UTC
Very nice and something totally different.
I used to that to, when i was a kid. Only then i took my brothers models, and later my own lumbs of glue. And not to long after i used to do "special effects" on them with firecrackers and other kinds of destruction... .
Anyhow I foresee forrests of bonsai and other tiny trees sprouting all over te modellersworld.
 _GOTOTOP