_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Steel Beasts of the East
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

First of all I must apologize for my absence leading up too this campaign. Its been a trying time the last few months for me and my family. I am an electrician and the economic slowdown has meant that I have had to work away from home the last year or so. Every week I head north 250kms to work in North Bay ON, and then come home again for weekends.

I have a young family with two small boys 3.5yrs and 21 months old who have missed their daddy alot with me being away. Working then coming home trying to be a dad, husband and grass cutter has left no time at all for this great hobby. I used to come on this site several times a day. I think since April I could count on one hand how many times I have visited.

Hopefully this situation will be changing soon. If everyone is still interested in doing this campaign then it starts on Thursday and I look forward to getting back at the plastic.

I still am not quite sure what I plan to build but will figure that out soon.

If you have any questions feel free to send them to me. I will be at my computer Friday to answer anything you might be wondering. Some of you have PMed me and I will reply when I return. I am typing this on a steam powered computer on dial up. Yikes!

If anyone would like to design a ribbon it would be appreciated. I don't have any idea how to make one. This is my first campaign as leader so any help or advice is always welcome.

Thanks

Jeff
Abydos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi Jeff, sounds like a good idea, i have a few cats i can put in that i have been working on
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 03:26 PM UTC
Life is tough all over. A lot of us are in the same boat so don't sweat it.

Most of a campaign leader's job during the campaign is to make rulings when people ask if the subject they are building fits the rules and providing encouragement as people post progress reports. The latter is something fellow campaigners do a lot so mostly it's the former (and with clear cut rules on the Campaign page, that can be kept to a minimum). Most of the work that can only be done by the campaign leader is at the end (asking for extensions, awarding ribbons).

I haven't figured out what to build either. I have a large choice of IJA and JGSDF subjects to choose from as well as a Trumpeter K1A1.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 11:01 PM UTC
I forgot to mention two other duties of a campaign leader at the start of a campaign:
1. Have the campaign managers "pin" the campaign message thread,
2. Have the campaign manager create a campaign photo gallery.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
So far the only idea I've had is this:

Who wouldn't want a Hello Kitty ribbon?
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
I don't know how you guys make ribbons, but how about a rising sun behind the black silhoutte of a tank?

As for the build, it will take a while before I will start mine. My bench is quite full at the moment...
When I get to it, it will be a T-54/55 with NVA-troops, during the Battle of Kontum, Vietnam 1972.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
I thought about a rising sun but I usually connect that to Japan. Hello Kitty is also Japanese but I just couldn't stop myself from creating a ribbon after I thought about it. For a real ribbon I suppose a sun would work. The nationalist chinese flag had a sun on it. Or maybe an asian style dragon?
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hey Jeff welcome back , good on you for doing what you gotta do to bring in an income .Theres been a lot of threads here about losing jobs , and people sharing the good news of getting work i too have had to find work in a remote location away from my family . i work three or four weeks on and six days off on a drilling project . Onslow Western Australia is a two hour flight and then three hour drive from my home . i take a kit away with me and build what i can after work . I'll re-enlist in this campaign and build the Tamiya T55a Afghan style .

just another great day at the office hahaha
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hey guys do we an official campaign thread and photo gallery to post our models in yet? Im rushing to finish my model to post here soon before I deploy to the sandbox, i just wont have the time to build a model over there
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
I would treat this as the official thread.

The campaign leader should probably tickle the Armorama Campaign Manager to make this the official thread and to allocate a gallery.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 08:19 PM UTC
Well, now that I am the Campaign Manager, I have created a photo gallery for this campaign.
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/24974

I don't seem to have any powers over message threads though. Send a PM to Mike High.
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, now that I am the Campaign Manager, I have created a photo gallery for this campaign.
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/24974

I don't seem to have any powers over message threads though. Send a PM to Mike High.

Good job on the take over Gary, I was beginning to worry about where to post the pics of my entry cause I'm just about to give its finishing coats on it tomorrow before the rain hits our place again.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 04:46 PM UTC
Oh, by the way, MIke clued me into the thread powers. Had 'em, just didn't see 'em!
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Heres my campaign entry, Vietnamese PT-76 in 1/35 scale by Glencoe models. I had to do a lot of convertion/add-ons to it because the model was such a terrible undetailed and inaccurate kit

The drivers hatch had to be re-made, the upper front hull needed the "breakwater flap" made out of sheet styrene and the headlights were from another kit with the metal grill around it made from metal wire. At the back I made those exposed gas tanks from modified German jerry cans, not the best looking but it will do

Theres still a lot to be converted in this very wrong model but I just dont have the time for it anymore. Hope you guys enjoy the campaign as much as I did

muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi
Nice build , Haven't even started mine yet still have a couple of other build's to finish first.
Hoping to do a Taiwanese M41.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
It looks like our Campaign Leader hasn't been on for 2 months so I am asking for a volunteer to take over this campaign.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Ok Gary, if needed put me on the list only if you help with some research next time I do a VK4501 HA . Seriously, call me if you need help.

Robert
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Gary, if needed put me on the list only if you help with some research next time I do a VK4501 HA . Seriously, call me if you need help.

Robert

I hereby anoint thee Campaign Leader. It will keep you out of trouble after Mighty 88 ends.
Thanks!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Robert

I hereby anoint thee Campaign Leader. It will keep you out of trouble after Mighty 88 ends.
Thanks!

Nope; Gary nothing will keep me out of trouble. School starts for me on Feb. 22, 2010 and look out all of those youngsters an old fart is coming back to finish his final year at college.

Robert
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
Any activity here? I still haven't picked what I will attempt to build. I've narrowed it down to something modern - JGSDF. I figure any WW2 Japanese kits can be built for "Axis of Armor" and "Campaign in the Pacific". I'm thinking of a Type 89 ICV or Type 87 RCV. I think I cut some part off the sprue of the Type 89 for the "APC/AFV" campaign but did nothing beyond that.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC
I have put this campaign on hold for a while.
I really need to finish some other builds first!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
@ Ron: sorry to see you go, but I do understand timing and overloads.

@ Gary: I had planned to build a T-34 during the Korean War.

Robert
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hello all!

Looks like things have been quiet around here. I've been making slow progress on my Type 90 MBT.

Here's how it looked December 31...

Most of the big stuff fitted together, Some paint onto the interior. The kit I have is the Type 90 with Ammo loading crew, so it also comes with the interior bits that you can see when the loading hatch is open:

As of the beginning of the week, most of the assembly was complete and the initial paint was on it:

The commander's MG barrel has been replaced with AM (Lionroar's 0.50 barrel), and the turret basket mesh is some PE mesh I found at a model railroad shop and cut to fit.

I have to do some detail painting yet, and then start the process to weather it up a bit.

I also picked up the Tamiya Type 74 when I was in Tokyo in December and, time permitting, am hoping I might be able to get that one done for this campaign as well.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
Welcome Grant, here is the only photo that I found since the internet is down for me at home for the moment (on the computer at school) did you plan to install the mud guards, I always have problems with them.

Photobucket

Robert
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

Yes, the mudguards will be going on. I had realized after that they were still waiting for for paint; however, this won't hold the weathering of the rest of the tank up.

That is one pristine Type 90!
 _GOTOTOP