Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Photoetch- need advice
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Starting to get into 1/72 Revell (nice models).
I see that PART makes photoetch sets for various 1/72 kits. The zimmerit sets are something that I am going to order for my Tiger IE and Panther A, but I'm wondering about the photoetch detail sets. At 1/72 scale how difficult is it to work with these parts? How much kit 'surgery' needs to be done for the photetch detail sets.
What can be substituted for engine grills at 1/72 if I decide not to go with photoetch detail sets?
I enjoy using photoetch on my 1/35 armor- but usually stay with Eduard, Aber has sooo many tiny little things that usually wind up glued to my tweezers and not on the model .

thanks
Peter
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:20 AM UTC
1/72 scale PE is small, but adds necessary items like headlight cages, latches and other parts that are out of scale in plastic. I've used several sets, Part, Extra Tech and Eduard. They really improve the smaller scale kits, but a lot of the PE detail can be scratchbuilt. I scratched everything in my Italeri 1/72 M1 (used no PE) and even won an award with it.
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi Peter my name is Butch Cassidy. As Rob stated alot of detail in 1/72nd and 1/76 can be scratch built. I work all small scale and particularly in 1/87th. Many of the kits I purchase have PE and small resin parts as added detail. I find that you need more patience and I use alot of medical clamps to add the various details and to shape them. I find the biggest problem is losing my grip on a part and it going into "parts heaven" which in turn causes me to scratch build it. As far as engine grills are concerned I use small scale brass screening from my hobby shop which has a large model train section. I purchase alot of my tools and material from the train section. I would say that the time a put into a "detailed" peice is lengthy for such a small scale but I am more of a collector than a wargamer. Give it a shot those Revell kits are nice. I like scratch building. Finding materials and items to replicate detail on these kits is a challenge and part of the fun. Anyway, good luck. Butch Cassidy Tanks46. (++)

Quoted Text

The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons.

Butch Cassidy Tanks46
Pig#3 Head Armorer
DSB
(++)
nikoaspo
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 09:10 PM UTC
I see that PART makes photoetch sets for various 1/72 kits. The zimmerit sets are something that I am going to order for my Tiger IE and Panther A, but I'm wondering about the photoetch detail sets. At 1/72 scale how difficult is it to work with these parts? How much kit 'surgery' needs to be done for the photetch detail sets.
What can be substituted for engine grills at 1/72 if I decide not to go with photoetch detail sets?
I enjoy using photoetch on my 1/35 armor- but usually stay with Eduard, Aber has sooo many tiny little things that usually wind up glued to my tweezers and not on the model .
Hello,
I build also braille scale models and especially Revell as those are so nice:) Braille scale PE can be very useful but at the same time very frustrating... #:-)
You can check Eduard PE from their web site with instructions, http://www.eduard.cz It will give an idea of sets.
Part PE in general are more comprehensive but tedious and instructions are many times hell to read. For some reason Part tries to make their instructions also in braille scale
About surgery, it depends on the set. Some parts are just add-ons, some need to remove big parts of plastic...
In general, working with PE. First of all, you need super glue, tweezers, scissors, fine file for starters. And patience
Biggest challenge is glueing small PE parts together It's easier to glue parts to plastic..

Hope this helps,
Niko
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
I've got a couple of Part PE sets, the 1/72 scale one I have is for Roden's JS3. Very nice set with microscopic pieces. The Eduard PE sets seem to be a little clunkier, more heavy-handed and not as fine. ExtraTech looks like they add just what is needed without going overboard.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi. PE for 1/72 and 1/76 scale! As the old man on the TV sit-com 'Everybody Loves Raymond' would say: "Holy Crap!!!!!!" I 'm have enough trouble with what little I do in 1/35! My hat is off to you and wish you good luck and much success. And eat lots of carrots for those eyes! I think you're going to need them.

Take care, and once again, good luck, sgirty
 _GOTOTOP