_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tricks for Track
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC
I am having a difficult time with putting the track on a Tamyia Panther kit. It is the rubber track make. It keeps coming apart where it joins or one of the real wheels falls out. I have reglued the rear wheel fixture a few times.

The last track I put on a different tank I broke. I would like to avoid this. Any suggestions.

Tony
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 07:24 PM UTC
is it the kind you need to melt? if so, wait until all the wheels are glued properly (give them a day). then put the track on and very gently close the ends together. with a pre-heated screwdriver melt the pins of the tracks. If it's the kind you glue, use usual model glue, but mind to hold the ends together for 10 minutes.
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Tony,

Panther tracks have a fair amount of sag, so if your tracks fit so tightly that they pull off road wheels and idlers, they may be too short.

When a track breaks and hot welding or gluing is no longer an option, you can often use a couple staples to keep them together. In most cases, you can hide the staples under a road wheel, skirt, sprocket, or some strategically placed mud. Sewing them together with string accomplishes the same thing.

Sometimes you can release tension on a track by adjusting an idler wheel axle. This will not help if the track is simply too short.

Sometimes you can graft a few extra links to a short run using glue, staples, or string.

Good luck with your project.

-Doug
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 01:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the help. I will give the suggestions a try.
 _GOTOTOP