_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Churchills & more from AFV Club
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 09:44 AM UTC
Some coming releases from AFV Club including more Churchills and Stryker upgrades.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 01:11 PM UTC
NOOOOO!!!!!

**SIGH** I've been waiting for a Dieppe Churchill kit for the past 5 years... and after purchasing numerous Tamiya Churchill kits and God knows how many conversion sets.. they finally come out with a dedicated kit??? MAN!!!

But unfortunately I'm already completely diappointed with the mock build pictures of the Dieppe Churchill... the boys at AFV Club did NOT do their homework.

If anyone from AFV Club reads this I am more then happy to help you correct your inaccuracies already visible on your mock build.

First off... go buy Mr Churchill's Tank by David Fletcher and read "The Great Rework Scheme" and you'll easily understand my comments. Also go buy Through the Lens: Dieppe by Hugh Henry and compare my note below to the actual photos of Dieppe Churchills:

csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Picture number 1:

1. Mud Trough not installed on the Dieppe versions. This was a reworked modification.

2. Periscope shrouds - not a big deal but I hope in the instructions you label this a an optional piece as most didn't have them, but some did, so I'll let you off the hook on this one.

3. There's a little indicator or light that resides inside of the head lights. This is kit part H3 in the Mark III kit already released. This was on the Dieppe churchill tanks. I point this out because it was NOT in the Mark III instructions. I hope that has been remedied.

Picture number 2:

Tow hitch - not installed on the Dieppe churchills. This was a reworked modification.

Rear Smoke Emitters - This portion of the Dieppe Churchill tanks was covered with waterproofing and makes verification of this very tricky. I haven't found any information or pictures that support having these smoke emitters. I think they were another rework modification installed on later Churchill tanks.

Rear fenders - Only 2 Dieppe Churchills had this version on fenders - BLUEBELL and BELLICOSE.. the rest at the early style as seen in he Cromwell models upgrade/conversion set.

Mud scraper - located between the rear drive sprocket and the last road wheel... I don't see it on the mock build so thumbs up on that, you got it right. You have it in your Mark III kit so I just wanted to point it out. That was another rework modification.

Other then that, I love AFV Club kits, but I have to nail you guys on not doing your homwork on this one. I'm going to use Cromwell Models conversion sets and your Mark III Churchill to do mine.

Feel free to contact me if anyone has questions on this subject. I've been researching it for close to 5 years now.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
I'm ready for the M8 HMC.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC
Well done Carmen.....I really hope the AFV Club guys pay attention to your comments.

With a release not due until some time in 2010 there is plenty of time for them to make the corrections. Good for AFV Club to put out Churchill variants but I hope they don't go down the road of simply using the same parts with only small variations.

The Dieppe Churchills are a huge part of Canadian armoured history and they are at least owed the respect of being produced accurately.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC
Thanks Jason! I agree the Dieppe raid is a huge part of Canadian armour history!

I forgot to mention that none of the Dieppe Churchills had the track rails located on top and behind the front sprockets... easy to see... any blown track sags in this area. These are parts E24 & E25 in the AFV Club Mark III kit. You can see them in the first picture I posted just under the tracks above the mud trough... inside my red circle.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
It's great to see AFV Club working on offering us more Churchill Variients. After years in the wilderness it's grand to see some of the options becoming more readily available to the modeller.

Well done and I'm looking forward to more AVRE options which I hope they will do as well.

Two more for the buy list.

Al
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
Is there any info what will be included in the Stryker upgrade set exactly? I'm asking because I need that sheet metal plate above the winch which has the receiving ends for mounting a DUKE antenna. I want to do a ICV version and as far as I know the only kit which contains the mounting plate is the M1130. It's not even included in any AM PE kit.
Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Johannes
ossie262
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi

Lets just say that is not the finished products that are on show on the web site . lets just say i know , more then i let on . also by the way there is two versions of wading equipment .
But at the end of the day they produced a chuchill mk 3 kit with options just like the Centurion and with a add on you can change its version by useing whats in the kit. i expect the trunking to be seperate detail set .
i find AFV kits very good and i must say from experiance they are very well reseached these days take my word for that .
i have been helping AFV Club for a while now and i think you all in for a surprise or two over the next few years. ossie
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
I can only say I'm just thrilled that other manufacturers are bringing out more Allied equipment. I've been holding off buying the AFV club Churchill because what I have really wanted is a Dieppe version. Warts and all I will be buying this one when it hits the market.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
Mike

It is not my intention to pick a fight over this or to pick apart a mock build. I would expect this not to be their final version prior to release. I do hope the final release does take these comments into consideration.

Yes, I agree AFV Club is a great company, and yes they do a great job on research.. but I cannot say the same for this kit in its current state. Just by adding in deep wading gear and early tracks does not make it a Dieppe Churchill. Given their reputation on doing research they absolutely fail on this one. I can see one or two things wrong, but not as many as what I've pointed out. If the kit comes out in this state they better be prepared to take some lumps.

They are forewarned!

If modellers are happy with the kit as is, then model away. I won't tell people not to buy this kit, to each their own. But for those modellers who take pride in building accurate models then I hope my efforts in pointing out these flaws now rather then later won't be in vain, and are hopefully appreciate in the meantime.

I'll assume this is not their final version and leave it at that... I'll take your word you know more then what you're leading on.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 09:54 AM UTC
I totally agree Carmen.....if AFV Club is doing so much research and dedicating so much time to getting things right why would they show inaccurate pre-production teaser images with clearly evident faults?

Measure twice and cut once? Doesn't anyone use that term anymore?

Ossie, if you have been helping them out great......but you might want to point them in the direction of Carmen and the reference material he mentions. There is no shame in getting more people involved in a project that have accurate knowledge.

By the way.....Carmen and I both live in the same city (Calgary) as the Regiment that fought at Dieppe in the Churchills....so having an accurate Dieppe Churchill hits home with us.

ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 05:42 AM UTC
hi
ok for the comments actualy the chief designer built it not knowing it was wrong and yes i did burn his ears .
but as he says its a idea. and certainly got the intrest which is what they wanted to know.
knowing there boss as i do if it ant perfect as a real vehicle then it is not happening. .
messaage has been passed on .
but keep a eye on hobby fan as well
ossie
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi
ok for the comments actualy the chief designer built it not knowing it was wrong and yes i did burn his ears .
but as he says its a idea. and certainly got the intrest which is what they wanted to know.
knowing there boss as i do if it ant perfect as a real vehicle then it is not happening. .
ossie

Hi Ossie,

I don't suppose you could get them interested in the odd Bedford or six or anything British and softskin??

Cheers

Al
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
hi alan
just wait
ossie
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi
ossie

Thanks for the follow-up....keep their ears burning.
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC
Right on! Thumbs up!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi alan
just wait
ossie

Oh happy days.

Al
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
I have been wanting to build one really nice (and historical) tank like this; one that has that distinct flair....I believe that this Churchill fits that bill to a "T."

I hope AFV Club listens to the folks with the knowledge (and it appears that they do/are).

It's my belief that these "teasers" are put out to 1) give an idea of what's coming (you know, stoke the lust), and 2) to get the kind of input like above.

My kudos to the folks that have the knowledge and the brass to let the manufacturers know (in a professional and informative manner). Kudos also to the companys that listen.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Mike
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My kudos to the folks that have the knowledge and the brass to let the manufacturers know (in a professional and informative manner). Kudos also to the companys that listen.

Agree with you Mike, all too often someone comes out and rips apart a kit without providing us mere mortals and the company with the information about whats actually up with the kit. Its great to see information provided, and even better to see lively and useful discussions on the model. I just hope the manufacturers listen and read the comments.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Great job Carmen!

Here's hoping that AFV Clubs takes your well researched and thougtful comments to heart. Ossie, thanks for chiming in from the manufacturers viewpoint and helping to assure us that they will listen.

Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Bob
ossie262
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
hi all

well i just recived a brand new T34/85 absloutly brilliant unbelivable full interior + indervidual tracks, M5a1 Late lovely kit as well .
and the new touch series , etch brass done by voyager but not seen any yet . but look nice.
AFV CLUB have i personaly think jump ahead in bounds.
ossie
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi all

well i just recived a brand new T34/85 absloutly brilliant unbelivable full interior + indervidual tracks, M5a1 Late lovely kit as well .
and the new touch series , etch brass done by voyager but not seen any yet . but look nice.
AFV CLUB have i personaly think jump ahead in bounds.
ossie

Sweet, that kit has been on my want list since it was announced. Now, if you can just talk them into a Black Prince I'll be all set!

Matt
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC
How about at least 1 Churchill for the 1/48th crowd!!!

jenkcam
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
You are forgetting the major issue with the kit is that the majority of Churchill's involved in the Dieppe raid were in fact Mk 1 with a two pounder in the turret and a 3" mounted in lieu of the hull mounted machine gun. While there were some Mk 111 the majority were Mk 1. This would have made a far more realistic Dieppe Churchiill than reworking the Mk 111 model. Check out

http://www.imaco.com.hk/cgi-bin/prod.pl/iscale/35
Who does a good 1/35 Churchill Mk1/11 conversion for the AFV Mk 111
 _GOTOTOP