_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Fruil Model Track- - -KV 1
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
I have the Tamiya KV-1 kit moving along. My good buddy, Adam, recommended that I use the Fruil Model Track. I took out a small loan and will have them shortly. Having used them before. it was my opinion that they ain't easy to complete. The instruction sheet leaves much to be desired. Does anyone have a site or an information sheet on how best to assemble the Fruil Model track?
thanks
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
The latest Tamiya magazine (red cover with their new T-55 on it) has an excellent bit on using the Fruil tracks in the T-55 build article.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:57 PM UTC
I used my first set of fruils recently for a panther D. Allthough I wasnt very happy having to clean all the holes out, they were definately worth the expense and effort. For Russian tanks I dont think anything else could convey the weight and sag as good. I tried using staples in the spares instead of the wires and this worked much better. A friend recommended this to me but it was too late for me, but maybe you could use this idea. He also said that the thin wire may stretch over time. As far as construction goes, its prety straight forward ... just keep the left and right sides seperate.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
210cav - fruils are very easy to put together. I use a scalpel to clean of any flash (if you can find any - they are usually moulded very cleanly) and a pinvise with drill to clean out the holes. I always replace the track supplied wire with steel wire - my local model shop sells this in metre lengths and I just cut it with a set of pliers. On average it takes me a night to do one side of tracks - once you have joined two links together you have learnt all there is to know I tend to do the job of tracks while watching the tv as it can get a bit boring just fitting them together. I never glue the pins in place, just push them in, and I have never had a set come apart on me.

Lee
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
My Friends as always I am indebted to you for your guidance.
thank you
DJ
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
I'm too lazy to use the pin-vice drill method. I chuck a very small bit in my Dremel to clean out the holes. I can get all of them cleaned up in a couple of hours while watching TV.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I chuck a very small bit in my Dremel to clean out the holes

Good thinking! - best I go buy a dremel :-)

Lee
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good thinking! - best I go buy a dremel

You'll really enjoy it. The drill capability is fantastic, although you'll need to buy an extra "Collette Set" that has chucks small enough to hold pin-vise bits.

There are just a million things you can do with the dremel. The cutting wheel is great for cutting brass or copper tubing or strips that are too thick for X-acto blades. The sanding wheels are the easiest way to free resin from its mold blocks. I've even chucked some straight lengths of sprue and used jeweler's files to lathe small, cylindrical pieces. Have fun! :-)
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
I have to agree that modeling without the Dremel would be like working as a carpenter without a hammer for me. I use it for tons of things up to and including cleaning up my Friulmodel tracks. Here is a great link to help you with your tracks DJ:

http://hometown-hobbies.com/assembling_friulmodelismo_tracks
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:58 AM UTC
Adam--many thanks. I knew if I wrote Russian Tanks we would hear from you. Trust your labors are producing some more fine results. I am almost ready for Rivet Review.

DJ
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi DJ.. I did my first Fruil Model with the Pz IV.... I loved em!!! I thought it was a lot better than sanding down the sinkholes on the DML plastic tracks...

All I did, was a quick runthrough with a hand drill (to ensure the holes were clear).. insert wire.. snip then dab Superblue.. I thought it was very easy.. and enjoyable seeing your 'workable' tracks come to live... Cool thing is.. you can make your tracks.. paint em.. and then attach them after...

Here's a article on a different approach (using Styrene Rod).. but the wire worked fine for me!

http://www.hometown-hobbies.com/assembling_friulmodelismo_tracks

good luck.. and don't give up yet!! I highly recommend them.. especially if your KV1 is the old Tamiya kit...

charlie
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The latest Tamiya magazine (red cover with their new T-55 on it) has an excellent bit on using the Fruil tracks in the T-55 build article.

Sabot, it was not the latest TMMI - latest has the Accurate Armour HET on the cover. It was previous one, I believe.

Rgds,
Pawel
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sabot, it was not the latest TMMI - latest has the Accurate Armour HET on the cover. It was previous one, I believe.

Rgds,
Pawel

Do you have a link to that publication?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC
I can scan and e-mail that portion of the article to you. The build on that T-55 was outstanding and it looked like a real T-55. Marvelous job.
 _GOTOTOP