_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
zimmrit help
Gurtrude96
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 10:59 AM UTC
Hi im just starting to make models and ive been wondering how to apply a zimmrit coating to tanks any help will be appreciated
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 07:05 PM UTC
Kyle you have asked one of those questions with so many answers. I can only suggest you do a search of the forums here using the Google search at the top of the page, this should provide several methods which work for that specific user. have a read of some of the methods and give them a try on scrap kits milk bottles and see what works for you.
dazzer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
hi Kyle
Its nice to see you starting in the big (or small depending which scale ) world of modeling, there 3 ways to apply zimmert to your models 1- putty 2-photo etch 3-resin sheets
the putty method i my opinon is the hardest to do as it is very time comsuming, sometimes messy but if done well is very good method
photo etch is a good way to go it is pre shaped but will need a super glue of sorts to make it stick and some filing to remove sharp bits this methood is ok but the pattern is very uniform
the pre shaped resin is by the easiest way to apply zimmert it is also pre shaped very flexable this will need super glue also
Failing any of the above you can buy one of the many kits from dragon which come with the zimmert already done
I have done all of the ways in my own opinon i would go with the resin as it is easy to use and apply a looks the part when on can be battle damaged before putting on your model
hope this is of some use to you and good luck with which method you choose

darren
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
Sorry Kyle I read your request as you wanted to apply your own Zimm. If it is an AM product you are looking for I have been really impressed with Cavalier as their product is easy to use and I found PVA or Gator glue worked well for application. A plus with their product is that the Zimm is not perfect, what I mean be this is that various thicknesses are reproduced and smooth areas are present. I hope this helps.
Gurtrude96
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:18 AM UTC
thanks i will try those
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Kyle, this U-Tube tutorial is is Japanese but it very easy to follow along. It's plain common sense, just watch.
Just for the record the putty he is using is a 2 part epoxy.
You can purchase the hobby 'brand name " maufactured types or you can purchase these type of putties from your local hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot Centers for less than the hobby brands. Hope this helps. Click on URL below and watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leHsaAkjje0

ralph
 _GOTOTOP