_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
white parade wheels
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi all,
maybe a dumb question but I'm curious about the white trimmed wheels seen on Russian and Chinese vehicles during big martial parades. On tracked vehicles I'm guessing the white trim is simply painted on for the parade? But how about wheeled vehicles? is that also a paint job or just really big whitewall tires?

thanks for any and all answers!
Terry
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Terry,

I've seen some variations over the years. But many times the most outer part of the rim is painted white and sometimes also the middle of the hub. I've never seen a tire painted. Try to google your favourite vehicle and add the word "parade", it usually pops up the picture you need. These days the white stripes are not used anymore in Russia it seems, only spotless camouflage

The exact reason for the white stripes is unknown to me I realize, maybe just good looks? Would be cool if someone had the answer to that question
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
thanks Mat.
But what I'm most curious about is how does it work on the 1:1 scale real thing, especially softskins? do trucks have actual whitewall tires that are put on especially for parades? or are the tires actually painted for the parade?

this has been bugging me for quite some time...
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
During the "Cold War" there were lots of schools of thought about the white lines....one was that it distorted the actual dimensions of the vehicle so that NATO intelligence staff could not get accurate dimensions from images of the vehicles.....all rumour of course.

I am fairly certain that what you are seeing is all white paint.....the units taking place in the parades are the "show" units and always have their vehicles is a high state of parade readiness.
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:22 AM UTC
thanks Jason! I appreciate the info.
Terry
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
There is a T62 I believe at Bovington painted as an on parade vehicle, I can get you some ref pics if you wish on my next visit as go there at least 12 times a year.
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Darren,
thanks for the offer; I appreciate that. I'd really like to see some pics of that T-62.
cheers,
Terry
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC
Terry,

You may want to check out this link to the PRC's 60th here. There are some really nice photos and almost to the end of the thread there is a series of video links to the parade,

Mike
neil22
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
never mind the white wheels....... how funky is this camo??!!!!!!!!

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

never mind the white wheels....... how funky is this camo??!!!!!!!!

Ya think??
So, what is this vehicle? And more importantly (I am color blind), what are the colors on the vehicle?
That would be an intriguing build.....

Mike
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
The vehicle is the ZLC2000 Chinese airborne vehicle. Hobbyboss has a 1/35 scale kit of it out right now. It is the Chinese equivalent of the Russian BMD.

Colors are dark navy blue overall, with light blue and olive drab digital cammo patches. The tarp over the parachute system on the rear deck is in a tan and green cammo.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Jacques,

You rock. I'll probably forgo the camo tarps. Of all the pictures on that link, this one was the most 'exciting" to me. Off to look-see for a HB ZLC2000.

Many thanks!

Mike
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Saw this thread and can't help asking - do these digital schemes work on the principle that no self-respecting AT gunner would fire on a tank made of Lego bricks? The schemes are seriously cool, and might even tempt me to build some modern armour...

Tom
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this thread and can't help asking - do these digital schemes work on the principle that no self-respecting AT gunner would fire on a tank made of Lego bricks? The schemes are seriously cool, and might even tempt me to build some modern armour...

Tom

maybe they could add some life size yellow LEGO figures to go with them to complete the deception, The AT gunner might think he has his range wrong and miss the target after all
 _GOTOTOP