_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help on Crusader Mk. III
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:55 PM UTC
I just picked up a 1/35 Revell Crusader Mk III (which I learned to be a re-box of Italeri). I haven't actually started on the kit but from the looks of it, the tracks are awful. I was thinking of a replacement, but I'm not sure which tracks to chose from? I'm not sure if Bronco or some other manufacturers out there had it in plastic, but spending on Fruils is I think a bit much Suggestions? Any fault on this kit that needs careful attention?

Thanks!
Removed by original poster on 10/11/09 - 11:58:03 (GMT).
Mad_Dan_Eccles
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:29 PM UTC
The rubber band on mine aren't that bad - certainly I have seen many that are worse -, but the plastic seems ungluable and doesn't like paint much.

The A13 tracks from Bronco seem to represent an earlier pattern and while they have some similarities, aren't quite right for a Crusader. Accurate Arnour do or did a set of resin Crusader tracks, and while I haven't used this particular set, the one set I have used was good compromise between the fidelity of individual links and the relative ease of rubber bands
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
So I guess Fruils it is. Oh boy...

Thanks for the help

Edit: Does anybody remember the link on how to make Fruils? If this pushes through, this would be the first kit of mine that'll be receving a Fruil treatment
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
I think there was a set of plastic tracks from Gum Ka (You can find the review in PMMS), but they might be difficult to find by now, so the Friul tracks are your best option. I think Italeri/Revell's Crusader tanks are very nice. I have the Mk.I Early, from Italeri. It has some time around but still nice and the only Crusader Mk.I Early out there. IMO, a PE set wuill be enough for your Mk.III (If there is any available). The only think I know to be added to all of them is some missing bolt heads on the hull sides, something totally useless is you are going to place the sideskirts in place. I don't know about any other improvements, there are very few publications about the Crusader, and nothing with very detailed pics or drawings, AFAIK. Good luck. Best regards.

José.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC
Thanks! I'm actually opting to buy Eduard's Crusader III PE set plus maybe a Jordi Rubio metal barrel aside from the Fruils I've mentioned a while ago. BTW, Eduard is selling Crusader side skirts but I'm not sure if it can be used for the Mk. III version? From the diagrams it resemble much of the same skirts for the Mk. III but Eduard labeled it for the Mk. II. Looks can be deceiving I guess.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 07:00 PM UTC
If they are the full-length side skirts, then they should be the same, not like the early half-length side skirts, they're slightly different for a very early Mk.I, compared to a late Mk.I or Mk.II, I'd say just go for them (full-length side skirts). BTW, I forgot about about the gun barrel. Jordi Rubio's barrel is a good choice. best regards.

José.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If they are the full-length side skirts, then they should be the same, not like the early half-length side skirts, they're slightly different for a very early Mk.I, compared to a late Mk.I or Mk.II, I'd say just go for them (full-length side skirts). BTW, I forgot about about the gun barrel. Jordi Rubio's barrel is a good choice. best regards.

José.

It's this one: link
 _GOTOTOP