_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Getting a painted steel finish
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi, Can anyone help me with this problem, i've heard adding a little gloss to a matt paint can help depict painted steel rather than painted plastic?

Does this work, or is there other methods i can use?

Thanks in advance

Ben
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
By "painted steel" are you referring to something that is steel, but painted?
Or something that is bare metal (steel) and you want it to look like real steel? For this, there are several metalizer paints. Testors Model Masters makes some as well as Humbrol. There are also rub and buff type paints that will make the object look like real steel.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 12:30 AM UTC
Rob,
I think Ben is simply saying he want's to maximize the effect of painting plastic so that it will look more like real "steel" tank armor.

It's a good question. I was reading that article in the recent FSM (the Sherman article) about how he distressed the plastic to give it a more acurate "imperfect" look. Of course he covered most of the tank with sandbags so you couldn't see most of that work. Lol.

Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC
I saw that article in FSM also and the effect looked pretty cool but your right. Once he covers it with all those sandbags you'll never be able to tell.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Ben, here is one method I use: Using all Model Master's acrylics. First paint what-ever flat black. Let cure 24hrs. Than do lite painting of thinned gun-metal or similar dark metal color. Let cure 24hrs again. Than dry-brush very little silver on the piece. Let cure. Finally, take a soft cloth and very lightly rub or buff the steel piece. Be careful not to rub too hard or you could take the paint off. The buffing produces a nice sheen which looks very much like real steel or metal.
Hope this helps.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Ken,
That's a good technique. I don't want to speak for the original poster, but I still think he is just looking for an effect where, for example an olive drab painted Sherman would look more realistic (as a painted steel finish) rather than a painted plastic finish. I kind of know what he means. Most paint jobs I use to do came off looking very dull, a matte finish. Where if you see reference photos of tanks (color) they ussually look more like a semi-gloss finish.

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Eeeek...ahhh...that changes everything! Hmmm...isn't that part of the idea behind weathering?? I mean after all is said and done with the finished model, it's the weathering effects which help to contribute to the plastic looking like steel?? A little rust, chipped paint, worn edges...etc.
I guess we'll wait for Ben to reply to all this. At least some good thoughts were shared here.
(I'm so confused) LOL
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
Sorry about that

Yes Jim hit the nail on the head

Flat plaints, painted on plastic look plastic, i want to know how to make it look like steel

Thanks for all the replies !

Ben
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 12:23 PM UTC
Ahhh, ok, Ben assuming you're looking for that factory fresh paint...adding a semi-gloss to the paint will give it that sought after sheen of painted steel. If your looking to give it that rolled or cast steel look...eeek. Never tried it.
Also, weathering will help to add to the steel look.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 12:52 PM UTC
I may have been a silly youth thing but I use to use pencil lead to simulate areas that were worn steel. Looking back though I would have needed to clearcoat the lead with something to ensure longevity.

Jim
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
Yes that helps jim

i suppose you just use a bit of gloss, it still dosen't help with the problem of models covered in dirt though
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 01:11 PM UTC
If you look under the thread "Oil paints?" in this section there is a link to a article that talks about using oil paints to get this effect. I was wondering the same things (how to get that look). I don't have the march FSM yet but the Feb. issue shows the Sherman with sand bags on it and the parts that arn't covered by the sand bags look very much like painted steel to me. I will have to get the March issue as soon as it hits the stores here and see how he finished it.
Benno
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:54 PM UTC
Yeah thats an excellent article, and he really gets a painted steel finish on that model.

Its hard to do though....
 _GOTOTOP