_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Best kit for Cypriot T-80U?
KursadA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
Starting with one of the Skif T-80 kits, how can I build a Cypriot T-80U? I understand I might need at least one SP Designs update kit, but I'm not sure which kit and which update set I should buy..
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Starting with one of the Skif T-80 kits, how can I build a Cypriot T-80U? I understand I might need at least one SP Designs update kit, but I'm not sure which kit and which update set I should buy..

I don't think it matters, honestly. There's so little of the original kit left with the SP Designs kit, especially if you do the roadwheels and tracks, what is left is the same mold from kit to kit. Jacques will have more definitive info, of course.

Matt
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC
I think it would be the same as the Pakistani version ? .........
KursadA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
I just combed through Jacques' site more carefully, and found the following:

Quoted Text

There has been a lot of discussion about what is needed to make a Cyprus T-80U. To the best of my knowledge, the 27 T-80U and 14 T-80UK tanks that Cyprus bought all came stock from Russian Army storage with no significant changes. I may be incorrect, but I have not seen any differences in my searches. What to do? SP Designs Kit 216 added to SKIF's T-80UD is the correct base. You will need SP Designs kits 213, 214, and 195 to round out the improvements. For PE, there are 3 sets from Eduard, none of them will fully work. They do provide some extra bits, but the biggest improvement to the SP Designs hull, the engine grills, can be dealt with by using PE mesh. Other details can be changed out, like if you want a metal barrel, etc., but are not needed. I hope this helps.

It looks like this is going to be one expensive project...I would appreciate more info if anyone has it.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 02:13 AM UTC
Well, looks like you already found the answer I would have given. Sorry about the cost too, but that is the best Sergej can offer. Both he and I wish that SKIF's base kit was a better starting point for conversions...but at least you have something to start with other than putty and styrene!

I will look over my Cypriot T-80 pictures as I get the chance, but I think kit 216 is still the better base to start with. Kit 221 may be too modern...not sure.

And on this note, Sergej is working on a conversion for a T-80UK.
 _GOTOTOP