_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SA-2 missles from factory to missile battery
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
When reading about the SA-2 missiles, I learned how they were used in battle and how they worked, but one thing piqued my curiousity: how did they get from the factory to storage to the battery? It's mainly a "how did they do that" question, like how they get the jelly into jelly doughnuts. I was thinking that these missles must be pretty hard to move around without damaging them, and in Vietnam, the missles and launchers were moved around quite a lot.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:45 AM UTC
my guess wold be they would be crated then assembled at the stageing sites and loaded on the trucks for depolyment, but just a guess....
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
This is a guess also. American Patriots and IHAWKS are stored in tubes from the factory and aren't removed until they're ready to be loaded onto the launcher, I would suspect the Russians and their "customers" do the same thing.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
According to Osprey's "Red SAM: The SA-2 Guideline Anti-Aircraft Missile" (New Vanguard series #134), each firing Battery had 3 transporter-loaders with an assembled missile on it besides the assembled ones on the launcher. The next higher unit, the Regiment, had transporter trucks with missiles in their containers (there's a picture of one). From Zaloga's "Soviet Air Defense Missiles", the Regiment's Technical Battalion stocked the unassembled missiles and assembled them when needed. I assume the Battery then sent their transport-loaders there to fetch them.
datatrap
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC
Tom,

I think I can help, labouring myself in the same doubt some time ago

There's the containers:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FE6H6P1R

Engines traveled (and where serviced) apart from the front end.

Hope you enjoy
Luis
 _GOTOTOP