_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Tigers- which one?
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Which manufacturer would you suggest?

Rather broad question, I know Academy makes a Tiger, as well as Tamiya.
I'm open as to model type- kind of leaning toward an early model so as to depict a Russian front Tiger. Prefer to avoid zimmerit with this one - I'm starting a Porsche King Tiger so I'll have my hands full with zimm on the Porsche .

Thanks for your suggestions

Peter

also- Which model is considered the hands-down 'best' Tiger model?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC
If you don't care for the interior and just want a great Tiger kit and no zimmer, I will suggest the Tamiya Tiger I early, which has no need for the zimmer, and is for the russian front. It's a great kit.

HTH
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
Tamiya's is a good choice. If you wanted a vehicle that needed zimmerit, try that cavalier stuff.
capnjock
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
The Academy interior- how would you depict the model in order to show off the nice interior?

Peter
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
OR, if you want Zimmet, Italeri's Tiger AUSF> E comes with panels for it in the kit. The kit isn't quite as nice as the Tamiya kit, but it's pretty good, IMHO.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
I certainly second the endorsement of the Early Tiger I by Tamiya. I built one recently and it was a great kit. I added a few things, but it was a heck of a kit. Throw some fruil tracks on there and maybe a brass barrell - it's ready to kill some T-34s.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
I've done both the Tamiya and the Academy. I like the complete interior, but they do have one without it. It's a toss up, so I'ld look at price when you decide. Right now there is a lot of aftermarket zimmerit out there. I've alays done my own using squadron white putty and some tools, but have purchased the Cavalier for my future King Tiger project. I've also looked at the brass Eduard stuff, and it looks real good and is probably a tad less delicate than the Cavalier
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
tamyia just came out wit ha tiger and it comes with photoeched zimmert.
in the kit.but the kit is like 55 bucks.
my hooby shop is a rip off.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi there.
You could try the Tamiya Tiger 1 (initial production). I've just built this kit and it went together very well.No Zimmerit needed etc etc.
Regards
Peter
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
I have both the tamiya and the Italari. Like the Italari a little bit better with out the P/E and metal tracks added. When you start adding the extras, the tamiya does come out ahead.
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
Definatly go with the Tamiya TIger. The Academy ones are good, but the Tamiya one has the edge. Actually all three,early, mddle and late versions, are worth getting. If you are at all put off by the Zimmeritt then use the Cavalier sheets, they are excellent and easier to work with than the PE Zimmeritt.

Peace!!.....
Hawkeye
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi, I would think that to show off the interior of the Acadamy model, you could build it in a factory setting, with the various exterior pieces off so the inside can be seem better.

Or as a battlefield casualty with different exterior pieces blown off. Of course, this would take quite a bit of work in order to show certain amounts of damage, both on the outside and inside. Doing damaged or destroyed vehicles is a lot more work than a person thinks if they've never done one before, to make it believable and look right.

One model at a local hobby shop has various pieces of the upper hull cut away to show the inside off to some degree, which looks pretty nice as well.

So you kind of have your pick of three possibilities here. And I'm sure there's more.

Good luck and take care. sgirty
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
The Italeri kits are pretty good. The molded on zimmerit is convincing enough for those Tigers that need it, and there's no messing with putty. However, the fit of the Tamiya kit cannot be rivaled in my opinion. I built the Initial version and it practically fell together.
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
The Tamiya Tigers are the clear winners. The Academy interior is sadly lacking for the early Tiger and dead wrong for the Mid-production Tiger. The Italeri is OK but is a pain in the rear to assemble, fit-up is horrible.

The Tamiya Tigers are great but the ultimate Tiger kit for accuracy is the Tamiya Early/Africa Tiger. Tamiya even listened and has produced the asymmetrical turret correctly in this kit which they didn't do for any of the other Tiger kits.

If you want a correct Tiger in all respects and one that you can build without that damned zimmerit, this is the kit. Add the MK workable tracks and it's a winner.

PH
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:15 PM UTC
I have yet to hear any good reviews about PE zimmerit! All seem to think its too fine and too perfect. Also its not rough enough for 1/35 scale. Supposed to be perfect for 1/72 though. A friend of mines made his Elefant with this PE and after painting, stripped it all down again and bought Atak zimmerit. The difference was amazing! I have also seen cavalier zimmerit and thats the way Id go as well. My friend has used it a few times and loves the stuff! Its also easy to rework areas to show a bit of battle damage
I have one of the Tamiya tigers and it is an amazing piece of kit, but I also bought Italeris Bergtiger with zimmerit already on the panels. Fine kit also straight from the box and about 1/3 of the price. Just some more thoughts on the zimmerit
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya Tigers are great but the ultimate Tiger kit for accuracy is the Tamiya Early/Africa Tiger. Tamiya even listened and has produced the asymmetrical turret correctly in this kit which they didn't do for any of the other Tiger kits.

I have heard this complaint before, on David Bryden's amazing Tiger1.info website. This is his appraisal of Tamiya's Tiger: http://tiger1.info/overall/tamiya.html

Anyone interested in the Tiger would do well to check out his amazingly detailed and precise website. http://tiger1.info/
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Thanks all for the informative posts!

Quoted Text

The Tamiya Tigers are great but the ultimate Tiger kit for accuracy is the Tamiya Early/Africa Tiger.

Is that model number TM35216? Or if not which model number?

thanks!
Peter
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks all for the informative posts!

Quoted Text

The Tamiya Tigers are great but the ultimate Tiger kit for accuracy is the Tamiya Early/Africa Tiger.

Is that model number TM35216? Or if not which model number?

thanks!
Peter

Peter, Kit number is Tamiya 35227. You can get it at Hobby Link Japan. It is not available outside of the far east. I paid about $40 US including the shipping for mine. I also think it is the most accurate Tiger you can buy OOTB in 1/35 scale. However, it does specifically model the "Tunisian" Tigers, so if you want a steel wheeled version or one with Zimmerit, you will need to pick up another kit.

Outside of the 35227, each of the Tiger kits available (with the exception of the cheap, early Tamiya version) is pretty decent. They all have there challenges and issues, but nothing that cannot be fixed with work and aftermarket parts.

HTH,

Scott

Scott
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Interesting comment about 35227 being only available in the Far East, as I bought my 35227 from VLS(www.modelmecca.com) and they still have it listed.

PH
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
I prefer Tamiya Tigers, no doubt.
 _GOTOTOP