Hosted by Darren Baker
My First Dio - 1945
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi, I'd like to share some pictures of my first attempt at a Diorama, set in Berlin (or some other large city) in 1945.

The base is carved from blue styrofoam and the walls and most of the rubble is plasterboard (drywall in the U.S i think?), soaked in water and the paper peeled off then carved.

The pictures here are about halfway through construction, I have since finished and basecoated it.

I'd like to know what you all think, good or bad

Thanks

- Dan
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hello Dan:
Nice dio, what scale and kit is the Panther? Neat camo also.

Robert
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi Robert, thanks

it's 1/35, dragon, late panther G smart kit, very nice kit, with fruil tracks

- Dan
vonryan
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
LOVE IT Dan!! VERY NICE. all it needs is some rubble on the tank and ground dust it and you nailed it.!! great camo

Clay
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:30 PM UTC
Really nice, just two things - some of the pieces of rubble look more like boulders than pieces of a building. There simply wouldn't be something that thick, because a wall is not that thick unless it is a medieval castle - and even then it would have many layers. Secondly, the suspension would look much more realistic if it were articulated. Other than that, it is really nicely done - I especially like your finish on the panther - the weathering, camo...top notch.

SCOTT
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Dan great job on that Panther. I too love that paintscheme. Very well done.
DanSly
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 02:47 AM UTC
First of all a big thank you to everyone who has commented so far, you response is much appreciated.

Clayton - Cheers man! I've got osme spare bricks and rubble to go on the tank (whether its the panther or another), I have Plus Model bricks and strewing, comes with a decent size back of brick dust that really looks the part.

Scott - I know what you mean about the rubble, way too big, I'll upload some pictures of where it stands now later tonight or tomorrow, its had a lot more smaller pieces of rubble, timber and bricks strewn on it, looks a lot better now I think, although I may go back and add some more smaller chunks around. Think of the original layer you see in those pictures as filler. And the issue with the suspension, the kit was built before I started the dio, so I'm not 100% sure the panther is going to be the final model I use, I'll probably end up buying another panther or maybe a panzer III and then alter the suspension accordingly.

James - Thankyou The tank really just needs pigments/caked on dust and dirt, and maybe a few pin washes and oil stains and I'll call it done. just waiting till the entire dio comes together to make sure it all ties together.

- Dan

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 04:29 AM UTC
Nice start. The walls are good. The elevation change brings a lot of interest to it.
I agree that the rubble isn't the right size.
What are your plans for the walls? They are a bit plain, pipes, arcitectual details?

Great start. Keep us posted.
 _GOTOTOP