_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
t-55 update sets
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
I just got Tamiya's T-55... great model. Now I'm wondering about the aftermarket update sets available for the kit; what is the best metal barrel for it? Tracks? How about those Eduard update sets?

I don't want to make a conversion, just an detailed upgrade of the model itself.. BTW, any good references on the web?

Thanks,
Mario M.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi,

I've heard that FineMolds barrel is the top quality and accuracy.

Michal
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 09:41 PM UTC
Thanks Michal, do you know of any aftermarket tracks that are available for T-55?

Mario M.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi. On the T-55 I did a while back, I used the Friulmodel white metal track links and they look great. I got mine from R and J out in Washington State. I paid $26, U.S. for them, plus shipping.

Take care, sgirty
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. On the T-55 I did a while back, I used the Friulmodel white metal track links and they look great. I got mine from R and J out in Washington State. I paid $26, U.S. for them, plus shipping.

Could you tell me what # are Friul tracks... I have troubles locating them. I found ModelKasten tracks available; do you know are those tracks any good? They are around $23 on HLJ...

Fine Molds barrel looks great, I think I'll try it.

Thanks guys,
Mario M.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 03:51 AM UTC
Go with the Modelkasten tracks!
I had both, Modelkasten and Friul- Modelkasten are superior in all kinds!
Sold my Friul tracks, the detail on Modelkasten is much sharper and easier and faster to assemble.
And the Friul tracks have most of the time two sets of tracks for the left hand side of the vehicle, instead of one for the left and one for the right.
The connector bolts have different lenghts on the inside and the outside of the track and when you have Modelkasten tracks there´s no problem to show that.
When you have the Friul tracks with two left side track pairs you have a strange looking connection bolt pattern.

Violetrock
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC
Terry Ashley over at the PMMS site, http://pmms.webace.com.au/ ,
has loads of reviews for T55 stuff including,

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/modelkasten/sk-59.htm
and
http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/part/part35073.htm
and
http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/at_tk-05.htm

and

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/t-55.htm

hth,
Mike
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:32 PM UTC
This one?

What about those PART PE fenders and barrels?

Great info... thanks guys.

Mario M.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi,

I can't understand why you don't like Friul products. Frankly speaking I prefer them to Modelkasten products. They are more realistic.
Of course you will need extra time to clean them... and they don't have as much details as plastic tracks from Japan. But on the other hand- Modelkasten products are too gentle.
I solved problems of left-side tracks by addidng small plastic pins to mask the connecting wires.

HTH

Michal
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
To answer the original question, the Tam T55 builds beautifully right from the box. I finished my first one recently, and the only change I made was the tracks and the turret grab rails. It came out beautifully.

Quoted Text

And the Friul tracks have most of the time two sets of tracks for the left hand side of the vehicle, instead of one for the left and one for the right.
The connector bolts have different lenghts on the inside and the outside of the track and when you have Modelkasten tracks there´s no problem to show that.
When you have the Friul tracks with two left side track pairs you have a strange looking connection bolt pattern.

I disagree about the Fruill tracks. I used them and they are fabulous. The weight of the metal tracks gives the perfect sagged look to the return run, which is a very visible identifying feature of the vehicle.

-- The tracks on the T55 are not "handed". One side is the same as the other. Just make sure they are pointed the proper direction when you install them, as they ARE directional.

-- Based on up-close exam and photos of actual T55 track, the differences between the inside and outside of the T55 track pins is indistiguishable at 1/35 scale. The differences are almost invisible at 1:1.

So: PE is optional, and not critical. Fruill tracks are a significant improvement over the kit tracks. I was able to get my barrel to look very nice with a bit of careful sanding and filling, so the metal barrel is optional, too.

My opinion.
 _GOTOTOP