_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF M-548
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Been a while since I last posted on the big A so thought it was time to do so again.

This is AFV's M-548 with Friull tracks and a few extra PE and scratched items.

The fit of the cabin canvas isn't 100% but because I covered the plastic with tissue paper trimming it to make a better fit is out. A bit of a bummer as during construction it did fit.
But then again in the field not everything is installed as per the instruction manual.

But all in all I am fairly satisfied with how this one turned out and I am calling her done. A nother one for in the display cabinet (starting to run out of room ) So here are the photo's.

The exhausts was painted with oil paint and rust powder was applied while it was still wet

The figure is by Warrior (I think) with a Hornet head

The clear lenses from Resicast are a great little touch of extra detail, should have gotten those sooner for my older models

Sowing thread was used to simulate the rope that holds the canvas down. Not something I will use again for this. It has a tendency to be a little fluffy (don't know how ells to describe it). Toke a bit of cleaning up after the flat coat was applied

Comments and critiques are welcome as always. A fresh pair of eyes will always pick something I missed.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Jan-Willem
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC

This is a very sweet build, but I have to agree that the rust on the tracks & exhaust looks a bit overdone. It could also be the shade of red as it appears in the photos that makes it really stick out. Either way, I really like the finished model.

I believe one way to eliminate the "fuzzies" when using sewing thread is to run it through some beeswax. My grandfather used to build tall ship models when I was a little boy, and I remember him preparing the "rigging" with some thread and a small block of beeswax. I can only imagine that an overapplication would result in the thread becoming a virtual dust magnet, though.

-YL
superfrelon
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 07:43 PM UTC
Je ne trouve pas grand chose à dire, tant le travail est de très bonne qualité.
Par contre j’émets deux toutes petites critiques.
Si cela ne te dérange pas …
Je te conseillerai de mettre un peu de boue sèche sur les roues et le bas de caisse.
De la fumée serai plus réaliste à la sortie du pot d’échappement.
Des voiles à l’aérographe de poussière XF-52 très dilué serait aussi les bienvenues.

Très bon travail, BRAVO !!!!

Pierric

I do not have much to say, as the work is very good.
By cons I issue two little criticism.
If this does not bother ...
I advise you to put some dried mud on the wheels and underbody.
Smoke will be more realistic exit exhaust.
Sail to the airbrush dust XF-52 would also be diluted very welcome.

look on this link you will see the effect of dust produced on my M1132 STRYKER.

http://ru.armorama.com/forums/140435&page=1&ord=0

Very good work, BRAVO!!

Pierric
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 08:52 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments.

The tracks look to red in the photos but that's due to my photography skills. The that tracks are more dark brown in real life, but they are probably still to red then. I will work on the way I do my tracks in future.

As for the rust on the exhaust That's more in the realm of artistic licence to be able to get some more different colour in to this otherwise monotone model.

@ Pierric
Your M1132 STRYKER looks beautiful and the dust effect you have achieved is sublime.
I chose not to dust/mud up the model as on the reference material I received the vehicles where more or less devoid of them.

Cheers and thank you guys for your input, I will keep those in mind for the next project,

Jan-Willem
 _GOTOTOP