_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How Do I Paint Long Grass?
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:38 PM UTC
hi, all i know the tecknique of making long grass but whenever i paint it the bristles stick together, i still like the effect but on my next dio rama, i need the grass to have seperate stradns, i have heard of soaking the bristles but how do you do that do you do it while the bristles are still on the brush or of, and wouldnt they stick together aswell as just painting on?

all help is appreciated
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
I always use black bristles to start off with and just lightly spray the grass with shades of green until Im happy. It takes a few coats to get good coverage! A light drybrush afterwards to bring out some colour and to add effect. It doesnt matter if the insides dont get too much colour as this is cool.
If you glue in the bristles, wait until the glue is thouroughly dry ... then they shouldnt move about too much. Another idea would be to make smaller clumps so it is easier to reachand less chance they will stick together with paint!!!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
k thnx plastic battle, but i dont have any spray paint or airbrush, and my long grass is already in the dioramama which is already covers with flock and turf, the only way to paint my bristles is either to paint on paint ( which i cant as i explained ^^^^^^) or soak them which hopefully some one can help me how do do that.

all help is welcomed, and appreciated.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
What about an aerosol spray can? Mask if necessary and spray a few light coats. Use a grass green colour and then with a little wash here and there, some dry brushing etc, it should be OK. This is how I did it before I bought my airbrush!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
plastic battle, i have to admit i am a very basic plastic modeller, i do use spray cans but i have not got any at the moment, and what is drybrushing and whats washing

thnx

matt
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:31 PM UTC
I would soak them in a very heavily thinned paint... a bit like thin paint we use for washes. With this very thin mixture the grass doesn't stick together.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:02 PM UTC
k thnx eagle, but how would i soak the long grass when its already stuck to the dio, (lol)
and/or do i soak the bristles while thier still attached to the handle ???

thnx' matt
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC
why not use old paint brush hairs they look like long grass and dont need to be painted
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
I would soak them as Eagle has mentioned and then stick them down second.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:47 AM UTC
thnx mike , i know how to make long grass, and i can paint it , and get the effect i want its just for my next diorama i want the grass to be able to move, as if the brisltes werent stuck together but my problem is that i have already stuck the grass in my dio with the fock and static grass already spread on, so my question is how do i paint the long grass now?

and thnx slodder for input

matt
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi

If you've already stuck the grass in place, one low-tech solution is to get a spray pump bottle (wife/girlfriend/mom as supplier!), put in a dilute acrylic and water mix, then mist that over the grass. I've had success doing that. And no nasty spray cans or airbrush required.

Cheers
Andy
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:50 PM UTC
k thnx herbeerta
 _GOTOTOP