_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Trumpeter Sd.Kfz. 7/1 (late war)
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My favorite PE maker, Griffon Model, have just released several upgrade sets for the 7/1 that are truly outstanding. ...

Thanks for that, Bill. I will pick up the appropriate Griffon sets and some resin wheels before I dive in. Do you have a recommendation for the latter, specifically for Trumpeter 1514? Has anyone released replacement front fenders for these things? I love scratch building, but that will require some effort to correct and while maintaining symmetry.

-Doug
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 04:32 PM UTC
Riccardo if you want to build a Dragon kit check out the ERSATZ M10, it is a very accurate kit and includes minimal PE. It will not tax your ability that hard.
Tamiya I would go with a SturmTiger or M26 Pershing.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
Riccardo writes:

Quoted Text

please accept my congratulations for your review, I'm not even a returned-modeller yet (I still have to decide where to start) so my point of view has little value compared to the others, but I really appreciate the accuracy you put in the description of the Sd.Kfz.7

Thanks, Riccardo. My goal is to be helpful wherever I can be.

Quoted Text

On the other side I think it is well over my head, I was reading on another thread that for re-entering in the armor model world the best choice would be a Tamiya kit in 1/35 scale. So Dragon or AFV Club kits are "too much", right?

Not at all! The Trumpeter version might be a challenge because the gun shield is PE, but the Dragon kit is mostly styrene. The Tamiya versions are NOT RECOMMENED. The wheels are wrong, the tracks are vinyl, and the front wheels a poor grade of vinyl. I would suggest the Dragon Sd.Kfz.7/1 (early war).

Quoted Text

Let's say three kits from Tamiya in 1/35 that are good as warm-ups? I have a preference for tanks and any nationality will do given that the crucial point is to begin again

Tamiya's Panzer III Ausf. L is one of my favorite kits that builds up very nicely OOB. The Dragon Tiger IIs are very nice kits, especially the "Smart Kits" which have fewer parts and usually little or no PE.

Russ Amott writes:

Quoted Text

Bill, I liked the review. Everything you said made sense to me. I keep thinking about the Trumpeter kits as I haven't built one yet, and I wanted to do one with the trailer. I build for myself, OOB mostly, with some basic scratch building. I just cant decide between this variant and the 3.7 cm flak. That, and I suck at painting German camo.

Thanks, Russ, I appreciate your support. I would recommend the 7/2 Early War (kit 1525) since you only need Panzer Gray.

Doug Dropeskey writes:

Quoted Text

Thanks for that, Bill. I will pick up the appropriate Griffon sets and some resin wheels before I dive in. Do you have a recommendation for the latter, specifically for Trumpeter 1514? Has anyone released replacement front fenders for these things? I love scratch building, but that will require some effort to correct and while maintaining symmetry.

You're welcome. I like the Tank Workshop version:

Regular

Civilian pattern

Armorscale also make a superb set:

I have also used the ones by R & J but found them requiring quite a bit of work removing the resin pour plug. They DO have one advantage in that they offer a snow tire version I have used on this build here:

Your only solution at present for the front fenders will be scratchbuilding. Terry Ashley has some rather detailed analysis of the problem, but he says fixing it will require major surgery.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Great review Bill, I found it helpful, useful all what review must have. Thanks for your time to review this.
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the Tank Workshop ... Your only solution at present for the front fenders will be scratchbuilding. Terry Ashley has some rather detailed analysis of the problem, but he says fixing it will require major surgery.

Check check and thanks again. Now I need to figure out what it should tow.

-Doug
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great review Bill, I found it helpful, useful all what review must have. Thanks for your time to review this.

Thanks, Martin. If the review is helpful, I'm happy.

Quoted Text

Now I need to figure out what it should tow.
-Doug

It's a great time for that, Doug! The Wiener Modelbau trailer is the way to go. As for prime movers, there is (as you know) a complete line of 88s on the market (18, 36, 37), the sFH 18 and you could even have it in a recovery mode.
 _GOTOTOP