_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Any difference between Pz.Kfw.IV F2 and G?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
I have the dragon Pz IV F1 kit, and want to make it into a F2 or G (with the single baffle muzzle break). I already have the jordi barrel and recuperator housing.

My problem is that the I have conflicting info from two references.

Osprey (New Vanguard) states that essentially there was no F2 model - they were physically identical to G's. "There was no difference between a Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.F2 and a Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.G - they were simply different names for the same model of Pz.Kpfw.IV." page 8

While squadron tells me that "Although the majority of ausf F2's resembled F's except for the longer gun and different recuperator housing, some late production vehicles appear to have been fitted with ausf G turrets which differ in detail form that of the F2".
page 27

Who should I believe? Anybody know where I could look to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks in advance-
Jeff
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
Looking at Spielberger's Panzer IV its variants, these are two I can come up with:

The Panzer IV Ausf. F2 had a bal-shaped muzzlebreak, while the Ausf G had the final version of the 75mm KwK 40 gun. Also, the warning lites indicating when the gun extended beyond the tank-profile were eliminated from the Ausf G onwards.

That is all I can find...

Problem is that differentiations occured within series, and that older Pz IV's sent to Germany for repair were usually upgraded whenever possible...
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
I've heard some rumor that there was no F2's built However,the F2 had a 75mm L/43 gun-single baffel muzzel brake and the G had the L/48 double baffel muzzle brake Squadron Signal has a good book on the Panzer IV from their in action series
It shows the differences on both of them
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:10 AM UTC
I have that squadron book - however they show some G's with side turret vision ports, as well as without. I guess it is a crap shoot. I'm going to build my F1 as an F2 with the L43 cannon and globular single baffle break.

A guy could put chrome straight pipes and paint flames on a Pz. IV, and probably find a picture somewhere of one like that to back it up.

Later-
Jeff
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC

There is no difference between the Ausf. F2 and Ausf. G.

The new Opsprey/Vanguard book by Jentz and Doyle is current and correct. The old Squadron book is out of date as is the Spielberger Band 5 Pzkpfw IV.. If you get the up-dated Neuer Band 5 Begleitwagen Panzerkampfwagen IV by Spielberger, Doyle and Jentz this information is there and is now presented in the O/V book.

PH
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
Paul,what would the Panzer IV armed with an L43 75mm gun be ? A late Ausf F or early Ausf G? I don't have those books you refered to I have the Squadron Signal Panzer IV In Action and the Waldemar Trojca book called Sd.Kfz.161 Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf F/F2/G
I'm assuming it would be an early G
Chad
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Chad;

You are correct as I understand Jentz' information, the Ausf. F being the last L24 gunned Pzkpfw IV.

The change to the L43 gun signaled the beginning of the Ausf. F2 which was shortly re-designated Ausf. G. So a Pzkpfw IV with an L43 gun is an early Ausf G. The single baffle "globe" muzzle brake is the same condition. The first Ausf. "F2" used this but, after the re-desig to Ausf. G, the L43 with single baffle brake continued being used in the Ausf. G until the introduction of the double baffle muzzle brake.
PH
 _GOTOTOP