_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site Support
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
I bought the T Shirt for the July site support "campaign" and it got me thinking. What if we an "Armorama Site Support Campaign." Everybody build something, run it like a regular campaign, and then auction all the entries off on Ebay and donate all the procedes to the site. I never sold anything on Ebay so I don't really know what is involved but I think there are probably some hard core Ebayers here that could help out.

Just a thought.

Shaun
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
I'll be on that for sure. Great idea Shaun!!!
Ciao
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
Nice idea. I'd be up for it. Either a built kit, or would easily donate one of the kits sitting on my shelf new in box. Built models can command some handsome prices too.

As for the shirt campaign, I think it's free to submit artwork to Cafe Press, so maybe next year we can come up with a Limited Edition shirt especially for the campaign.

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...auction all the entries off on Ebay...

Of course it would probably be Armorama members doing the buying.
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Its a good idea but theres problems i feel. I think many people would not bid on made up kits, ( i wouldnt) reasons being building them and all that goes with it is most of the fun for a lot of people. Then there would be concerns about receiving the model in one piece through the post. Ive looked at the built model kits on ebay before but according to the counters they dont have near as many hits as the unbuilt kits. Im sure some people would buy, but very few i think. Sorry, dont mean to put a dampner on things, because after all its a great idea, but just thought i'd let you know my opinion.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think many people would not bid on made up kits.......... but very few i think.

I made $500 on seven kits. People do buy built kits. I do think that if we did this, we need to space it out, because if there are several quality kits available, it would hurt total bids. I am all for this idea, though and would be glad to participate. I can see it now, a campaign ribbon with a dollar sign on it.

Patrick
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:15 PM UTC
As part of the campaign rules, we'd probably want to focus on building what sells. From what I have seen on Ebay, popular tanks, jet aircraft, and dioramas are pretty popular.

I know a number of pilots who would purchase a model of the jet fighter they flew while in the service, etc...

Many people can't or don't want to build dioramas and would prefer to buy one.

And let's not forget...ahem... cars are probably popular too. Does anyone here build them?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
I hate to sound overly cynical...

but look at how few T-shirts have been ordered (yes, I've ordered one...)! Full marks to everyone who's supported this effort, but 17 (at last count) from nearly 3000 members is pathetic...

I hate to say it, but on the evidence of the T-shirts, if a condition of the campaign was that finished entries would be auctioned... I don't think there would be much interest.

Sorry... but someone had to say it Hate me if you like...

Rowan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
Don't anyone despair - there are great thoughts presented here! It makes me feel even better that you guys feel comfortable in saying what probably won't work. Takes courage and trust in your fellow man to buck the current and take a different stance.

Perhaps auctioning off models won't work as well as another idea for a fund raiser - but - the idea of supporting the site is the most important idea! Keep 'em coming.

Yes, I bought my T-Shirt on Day One. I was thinking about buying another, but would rather those who find value in the Site and what it offers to step up to the plate and grab one in esprit de corps.

Gunnie
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
I would love to buy a T shirt but Im not to good on this International money thingyIf someone could post me a idiots guide i would much appreciate it.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Easy

To buy your T-shirt, so long as you've got a credit card, it's no problem at all... just follow the on-screen prompts. :-)

To make payments to people/companies without a credit card facility, you could sign up to PayPal, which I used to buy some vacuforms from Sierra Scale Models - it worked fine.

Hope this helps

Rowan
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:39 AM UTC
Hi porky thanks for the help will a debit card surfice,Im one of those dinosaurs who doesnt use Credit cards.
 _GOTOTOP