_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
LVS 48 HEMTT -is there a commercial model?
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
I've been looking at Ti's MK-LVS48 HEMTT ( if I got the letters right) and boy it is a nice redition of the real thing. All those plumbing...Anyways, I want to know if there is a model of this beast? 'm assuming Ti scratch built his, as he always does, but is there a commercial model out there?
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
The MK 48 LVS has never been kitted to the best of my knowledge. The actual vehicle was not produced in real numbers, so the likelihood of an injection molded kit is pretty rare. So far I'm not aware of any resin kits either. You would have to convert one of the Italeri kits like the M977, which is a fair amount of work. I want to do the conversion to the Academy 1/72 HEMTT when I have a chance.
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
italeri maked the HEMTT cargo and gas/oil tanker version but not anymore im sure you could find it somewhere. cool stuff
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
*made. wow.
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC
Technically the HEMTT and LVS are related but distinct vehicles. The LVS being articulated with a power section (MK48) and several different powered "trailer" sections (MK14, MK 15, MK16, MK17, and MK 18). The HEMTT is an 8X8 configuration, not articulated, but also comes in several versions, cargo, fuel tanker, recovery, and so forth. The LVS is unique to the USMC, while the HEMTT is the US Army vehicle. The LVS is being replaced by the LVSR, which gives up the articulated section for a standard 10 x 10 configuration. Apparently the LVSR has some parts commonality with the MTVR, but the 10 X 10 configuration reminds me of the PLS system, a derivative of the HEMTT. Makes you wonder if they are moving towards a more common truck between the USMC and Army.
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the correction of the nomenclature of the right vehicle. I get mixed up with these variants. Now seeing that there is no kit forum as you guys stated, how can one get started? managed to find some pics of Ti's version. It looks he used the Italeri kit and downsides it in a way. But the engine looks too complex to start with. Is there a source where one can look at pics? Maybe plans? It seems he must have used a source to make all the complicated parts. I've sent him an e-mail but he has not responded yet.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a source where one can look at pics?

You can take a look at Joe Wallace's Mk48/14 LVS Webshots photo album (more than 150 pics !)

HTH
Frenchy
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
WoW!!!! Thank you Frenchy. The pics are fantastic. But I must confess that it does not look like a easy task. Do I darn take on the challenge??? Looking at Ti's model, it looks like a huge job. A year or two maybe??? oooppss, but it is worth a try I guess.
grunf
Visit this Community
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
This is my piece, starting from italeri M977, cut and scratch

Hope you like, anyways from the oshkosh (sorry do not remember the name of the company that built the truck ) I get the brochure and than with picture all around the web, dimensions I start to scratch the MK48-16.

I made also LVS but I do not have clear picture only one , this

Hope it will help,
ciao
Piero
ErikHagglund
Visit this Community
Uppsala, Sweden
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 07:00 PM UTC
Piero, ¨nice build. Jason, I think there is a 1:87 version but not too sure. Roco may have this model but of course the build quality is not soo good. I do not think it is kit form anyways.

Again, I agree with you. Ti version is truely awesome.
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Piero, bnice build you got there. The MK48 - 16 version is cool. I guess I'll just have to try my hand at scratching on of these. Thanks for the help everyone.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hay Is it ok that I stick my two cents in? I had started working on scratch building the cab,chassis and engine, an casting some of my Ital tires and axles to build the Mk48 LVS tractor. An if I may "grunf" you rear or engine section photo will help me out a lot, thanks M8.

Here's some photos of the Uparmored Cab version I planed on doing.

My started work.

I realy wanted to start showing this project once I got the full cab and chassis done., but with all the othere half scratch projects on going right now. I have stoped work here.., but I will be back on it soon.

Thanks for posting this topic "jasondiggs".
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
Why not just the link that Frenchy posted:

http://news.webshots.com/album/340356927GWGfnX?start=0 as well as http://www.primeportal.net/hemtt2/jason_taylor/mk48_lvs/

_GOTOTOP