_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Abrams (Original) turret details...
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 03:30 PM UTC
So, I scratchbuilt a Cadillac-Gage MK-19/50cal. AAVP-7 turret not too long ago and I did it by using this picture-

I don't think I did too bad....

So, now I have an Academy M1 turret I want to scratchbuild the interior for. Sabot racks, firing and targeting electronics, the whole suspended platform and interior for the turret.
So, I need an exploded-view drawing of it like the Cadillac-Gage drawing I worked with for the ASV 150.
I have a few PE/AM alternatives, like the Verlinden interior, but the only thing I can use from that set...is the picture:

Link to source/site: http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/1-35-m1a1-detail-set-tamiya-1967.html

It kinda tells me where some stuff goes.

Who can help a brother out?

Thanks in advance,
Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 12:03 AM UTC
I don't have any drawings, but here is my scratch interior. I used the old Dragon interior pieces for most of the upper turret and driver's position. The lower turret basket and gunner's position are all scratch though. There are some great walk-around (walk- inside?) pics at Prime Portal too.

mikey
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC
Gino, how did you build that great looking interior from scratch? Especially from pictures with no reference for measurements. That is some great work. Happy belated Veterans day. Semper Fi.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have the drawings any longer, but here is my scratch interior. [snip]

Gino, buddy...nice flippin interior! I think these pics will do great in helping me out. The turret interior isn't so important as the suspended basket (Which will be seen from the big door of my Railtank). The turret, I think, will be all buttoned up except for maybe the hatches to load the sabots into the racks.

Thanks man. Oh yeah, and the Academy M1A1 comes with what bore gun? 120mm? Because you (Gino) sent along a second barrel when you sent me this model so, I'm not sure which is which.

Thanks for looking!
Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, how did you build that great looking interior from scratch? Especially from pictures with no reference for measurements. That is some great work.

Thanks Mike. I just eye-balled it and made sure it all fit in the space it needed to. It looks close enough to me.

Quoted Text

Oh yeah, and the Academy M1A1 comes with what bore gun? 120mm? Because you (Gino) sent along a second barrel when you sent me this model so, I'm not sure which is which.

I had forgotten I sent it to you. The M1A1 has a 120mm barrel. The original one in the kit is way out of porportion and looks toy-like. The second one I sent is the one to use.

Let me know if you need any more help. Good luck.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had forgotten I sent it to you. The M1A1 has a 120mm barrel. The original one in the kit is way out of porportion and looks toy-like. The second one I sent is the one to use.

Let me know if you need any more help. Good luck.

You rock, Gino....now I just have to hunt down that extra barrel......hmmmm.

I'm still hoping a drawing will pop up, but, I'm gonna shoot over to Prime Portal and check out some refs in the meantime.

Cuhail
Gregor
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi everybody!

Thatīs mine Abrams turret interior... It was made mostly with parts from the Verlinden Set and a lot of scratchbuilding

I had no drawings or precise measurements of the interior, but i used the pictures from this walkaround on PRIMEPORTAL http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/rob_mccune/m1a1/
On PRIMEPORTAL i saw also a M-1 turret mockup (maybe for loaders training purposes) but i canīt find the link anymore. Please help my out with the right link or some pics

If you need some more information about the turret, i could try to take some special pictures and make some measurements. Very important is IMHO the depth of the turret basket, i my case it was a bit too deep and made the build of the lower hull interior of my Abrams quite difficult

Greetings
Gregor
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
Send me your E-mail address Murphy I believe I have the data you are after, it will be the weekend before I can sort it out for you though.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC

Darren, your pictures helped a lot. Thank you. (Once I ZIPped 'em open, LOL)

Gino- Your build photos, it turns out, I saved a LONG time ago in anticipation of this build. I found them in the shop computer all saved and ready to go! LOL!

Gregor- Another set of great referance pictures. Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I started it Monday night.

Since I'm doing a futuristic, scrounge-type model, I thought I'd re-do the turret basket components. I know what has to be in there, for the most part, but, I wanted to do it my own way and not build it so "U.S. Military", but, more "Private Militia" style. More electronics and less mechanical. I'm contemplating NOT doing the breach and all because ya just won't see it.
So, here are the first pics.

The turret basket floor:

The gunners seat and a bit of protection added. (new ideas!)

The gunner's console start.

A little more protection square bar and the start of the suspended optical sights.

That's it so far as far as pics go. I'll be working on it a bit more today and snapping more pictures as I go, of course.

Questions and feedback always welcome.
Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Looking good so far Murph. Keep up the good work.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, how did you build that great looking interior from scratch? Especially from pictures with no reference for measurements. That is some great work. Happy belated Veterans day. Semper Fi.

Gino can probably point to every dent in his head and match it with the corresponding piece of equipment in the turret.

Right Gino?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a lot of progress today. Unfortunately, I take pictures at night and post in the morning, so, you'll have to wait some. Measured and cut the screen caging. Expanded and detailed the gunners station. And, started on the loader station and some other stuff.

Like I said. Some good progress.

Thanks for looking.
Cuhail
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC

Well, here it is so far. I'll let the pictures do my talking until I get some feedback with specific questions.
Is it accurate? 100% YES!
To Government Issue Equipment? Not even remotely!

I love this hobby!

Blow the balloon juice, folks! Let me have it!

Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
It looks good to me as a post apocalyptic rail-gun tank. I like it. Good job.
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Well........I guess if that's the best you can do.

No, seriously it's like the question of what do you get someone for Christmas that has everything. I'm no where near you guys level of work yet so I don't have any idea on what to look for to make suggestions. The switches look great and I assume they are tiny snipped off wires? Something I'll have to find a way to incorporate into my build. Looks awsome so far.

BTW, what are you using for the wire mesh? Looks like fine screen window netting.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, what are you using for the wire mesh? Looks like fine screen window netting.

Hermon

That would be some old, fine screening from a dryer lint trap.

Thanks for peeking in, Hermon!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, moving right along....I have to say what a cluster$#@! my bench is right now.

And organization? Out the door....for now! LOL Here's a pic of all the hull pieces...well, most of them...

So, to actually show some progress, I had to re-make the top where the turret is going to go on the Railtank (The actual project). Going by what's on the lid of the M1 Abrams, I started adding details...

So, that's where we're at on this. Comments/feedback always welcome!
More later.

Cuhail
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
OK, dryer lint trap........NEVER would have thought of that.
This may be a rookie question but how are you cutting such perfect holes? I use a protractor to scribe my circles but when I make the cuts they still end up looking like a jigsaw puzzle.

Hermon
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:54 AM UTC

Hermon, with the big circles I use the appropriate template and mark the circle, then, I use a big ole drill bit and make 1/2 holes around the inside of the hole (Like a slotted wheel rim), close to the line. I then use my sprue cutters to cut between the holes I made, essentially making a big, rough hole. Then, I chuck a drum sander into my drill press and quick-sand as close to the line as possible. Then, I sanding stick it to the line. For smaller holes, I just use a drill bit in the press/cordless screwdriver and file to the line or I chuck a dremel drum sander into the press.

Sanding stick are found in the cosmetic section of my dollar store. Different grits, all for a buck. They are sold as nail files, but, who says they have to be used as such. I don't like the pack of cardboard ones, though. I like the ones with the foam middle.

Hope this helps,
Cuhail
Leopard-2
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
That's just a lot of awesome stuff which i see in this thread. Great work! Can anybody tell me if the Verlinden interiour set also fits to the Dragon models?
DerKillbot
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:53 PM UTC
Yeah which models will the Verlinden interiour set fit?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah which models will the Verlinden interiour set fit?

It is made for the old Tamiya kit, and will also fit the Academt copy of it.

As far as accuracy goes though, its nowhere close to the real thing.
Tomcatter
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

if anybody needs some good interior pictures of an M1A1 Abrams, he should have a look at Verlinden Modeling Magazine from October 1993.
There are some pretty good detail pictures in color.

Chris
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
Murphy White 4 has a very complete set of interior pics up somewhere but I can't remember where. So with some luck someone else here will know where they are.
 _GOTOTOP