Forgive the question, painting 1/72 armour
rodders
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi,
It's been a long time since i was last here, sorry.
I've been looking at the 1/72 armour here and am amazed at the quality of finish, especially painting. I have started slowly and got a couple of Armourfast Stug 111g made up and painted in black, as i've read about priming in black and building up the colour by using lighter grey's or sand sprayed in the centre of panels to give the shading effect. Hopefully, tonight i'll be starting that but am a bit scared of messing up. Can anyone advise me on how to avoid pitfalls, and basically any help on finishing.
Forgive me if the question has been asked before, i've looked for other advice on different sites but i would really appreciate help.
Thanks.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
One tip I can offer is to use a piece of cardboard and use it as a loose 'block' or 'mask' over other areas beside the primary focus area of painting. Working in small areas tends to get you focuses on the paint and the block can keep other areas safe from over spray.

Keep low pressure on the airbrush.
Don't be afraid to go back and correct or respary the darker base color again if you don't like the top layer.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 07:08 PM UTC
Andrew,

You may also consider reading through this article. I tried it and have been very happy with the way that this vehicle of mine turned out on my first attempt! The article is aimed at 35th scale builds but the principles are basicly the same for 72nd and smaller scales too. As you go along in your model building venture you will pick up many good tips here and there and eventually you will use what works best for you. My models really looked terrible before giving this method a try.

You are in a good site with lots of very helpful members here. Have lots of fun and happy modeling.

-Eddy

Oh! Gulumik has an ongoing M13 Fujimi build log here on the Braille Scale forum and the painting part maybe of some interest to you as he is just in the beginning stages of adding primer and pre-shading.
rodders
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thank you for the help, i'll give theses a try. Really like the T54 Eddy, brill job.
Regards.
rodders
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 08:21 PM UTC
Hi All,
I've got a bit further with my Stugs.(i haven't got a camera so can't post pictures, sorry). I've painted the models, to the point where i was going to spray a green colour over the sand on one of them. I've never done a second colour before could anyone give advice on the best way to do it.Then was going to spray a thin coat of an earth colour around the tracks, then varnish, apply the decals. Try out a bit of weathering then matt varnish.
Does that sound a sensible thing to do?. I take it it's ok to add the earth around the tracks before varnishing.
Anyone help?
Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP