_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Centurion ARV/Tug
broomers49
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hello, I have recently acquired from John Church, of plans fame, a very old Cromwell Models resin kit of what Gordon describes as a Cent tug. This was apparently in use some time 50's/maybe 60's. Basic Mk 1/2 hull, early top opening bins, with a circular cupola filling the turret ring. Winch cable wrapped around the cupola, 3 very large hooks on lower glacis plate. The kit comes with various recovery bits, hollebone draw bars, snatch blocks etc. Where would smoke dischargers be situated?
If anyone has any photos or information I would be very grateful and pleased to hear from them.
Thanks
Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

I vaguely remember this variant and a blurry photo of one in BAOR. damned if I can recall which book though, might be the Brian Baxter HMSO one. When I can I will drag it out and check.

Your best line of research would be to contact Spike Judd (who probably served on them), Bob Stimpson (who didn't but can ID the thread pattern of every bolt used on or near a Centurion). Possibly Richard Hone could help as well.

I will forward your enquiry to them for you, as I don't think they visit here. My errand boy has just appeared and fetched the book for his decrepid father. The ARV Tug is in there, but you will need an electron microscope to decipher details.

The book is Breakdown by Brian S. Baxter, HMSO ISBN 0-11-290456-4

HTH

Paul M.
broomers49
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
Many thanks Paul, have seen the photo...........just about. Bob Lockie has sent suggestion so will follow up his lead.
Sunray
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
Nick,

I remember one of these things parked on the hard standing west tank park at Tidworth, circa 1962. We used to go out on Cent driver training with the 44 RTR and stay in the old Victorian Barracks. At the time I took many b&w photos of the guys and various vehicles stooging around but can I cannot find more than 4 of them, but these do not include your target. Sorry!

I just cannot remember its details, but perhaps my entry might nudge someone else's memory?

Cheers,

Gary
 _GOTOTOP