_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Diorama Campaigns Anyone?
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hello All,
I have got a real nutty idea for a 3, Yes 3, year campaign idea.
The first one will be on Russia. You can either do a Diorama on Stalingrad or on Kursk. This campaign will last 1 year.
The next part will be a Diorama of either The Normandy Invasion or the Fight for Monte Cassino. This campaign will last 1 year.
The last part will be a Diorama of either The Battle of the Bulge or The Battle for Berlin.This will last 1 year.

You can do either do one or the other battle in each part and get your ribbon. Each campaign will have its own ribbon
If you do all three Campaigns you will be able to sign up for a fourth campaign and be awarded a Grand Victory Ribbon for all 3 campaigns.
The start date will be eiher October 1, 2010 or November 1, 2010 for the first campaign and there will be a pause of 1 month between each campaign.
So what do you think?
Cheers,
Bruce
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
well im a nutty fella

ima have to say this sounds like a gr8 idea and can expand my mind in dioramams in so many way =]

so this nutty fella would deffinately go for this nutty idea of a campaign lol =]]

tony
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 12:37 PM UTC
Bruce, I think they dropped you on your head in the hospital and you bounced (3) times:D . The campaign sounds good.

Robert
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hello All,
When I went into the hospital, I swore no more campaigns for me to run. Then I wake up today with this idea, I think that they did drop me on my head but for more the 3 times.
Here is a question On the first part, Do you think that we should add El Alamein instead of Kursk. That will give the guys that build British models some thing to do?
Or add 1 extra battle to each year campaign, Such as:
Part 1 Stalingrad, Kursk, El Alamein.
Part 2 Normandy, Monte Cassino, Warsaw.
Part 3 Battle of the Bulge, Battle for Berlin, Operation Market Garden.
That will give just about everyone a Diorama to do.
I do think that you should have a Photo of the general area that you will be making, What do you all say about that. To me that will make it more then just a campaign, But one that you will have to research. What do you think about this change?
By having different battles to pick from each year, I think that we would have a lot of great Diorama's being made and get a little history to go along with it.
Of course we could go with my first post, But I am thinking that we can get the Aeroscale, Model Shipwrights and all the other sites involved and make this a truly all site campaign by expanding the battles. We even might get Big Jim to make one.
So what do you think? Please let me know.
Cheers,
Bruce
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
IM definetly in, i'll try to do something for El alamein, the Bulge, Normandy , and market garden
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IM definetly in, i'll try to do something for El alamein, the Bulge, Normandy , and market garden

Hello Calvin,
You only have to do 1 per campaign. If you want to do more that is fine, But please remember each campaign will have either 2 or 3 battles to choose from. If you want to do El Alamein for the first campaign, Then you will have to wait till the second one to do Normandy and so forth.
Thanks for your support, That makes 4 of us so far.
Cheers,
Bruce
Edit: Robert,
If it is a go, Just sign up we can always do an unofficial extension.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
School will dictate my ability to enter, but this would be a great one to be a part of.

Robert
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
You know that I am a nut for campaigns and diorama's too, but I think this proposal has 2 major drawbacks!
1) the timeframe is too long. There is a large chance of people loosing interest/patience.
2) the subjects are not specific enough. I can build Stalingrad amd someone else builds El Alamein. What do we actually share/have incommon/learn witf or from each other?

Under these circumstances I probably will not be signing up....
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hello Ron,
Good point.
I was trying to get a large enough people involved to make this a site wide campaign. I guess I has just trying to hard to get everyone involved.
I think the basic premise is still good, Except of allowing the modeler to pick from 3 different battles to just 1.
As I just did Blitz 2 Africa and there has been a couple campaigns on Market Garden and Eastern Front, So how about this:
A Diorama campaign of the 4 most important Battles that changed the outcome of WW2 in Europe
D-Day A Diorama Campaign lasting 10 months as part 1
After a 2 month pause then:
Stalingrad for 10 months
after a 2 month pause
El Alamein for 10 months
Another 2 month pause then the last battle
Kursk for 10 months.
This way you can pick which ones you want to do and each comes with it own ribbon.
If you do all 4, You will get a Grand Victory ribbon.
Do you think that will work?
Please let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Bruce
BTW, Great job on your Blitz 2 build, I am learning a lot from you.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 12:23 PM UTC
I have a diorama idea for Tamiyas new tool Schwimmwagen that would take place around the time of the battle of the bulge....can we incorporate Hitlers final futile push somehow,or does this complicate things?
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a diorama idea for Tamiyas new tool Schwimmwagen that would take place around the time of the battle of the bulge....can we incorporate Hitlers final futile push somehow,or does this complicate things?

Hello Jim,
We can always add or subtract a battle.It is up to the people that are interested in the campaign.
Also Blitz 3 will be starting up in June and will be on the battle for Italy, Could your model fit there?
Cheers,
Bruce
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
Quite possibly yes!
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi
Interesting idea you have.
Will keep a watch on this. Could be very interested as I love building diorama's.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
Count me in my friend.

Andrzej
grayghost666
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hello All,
With the new campaign Western front starting, So lets start with Stalingrad.
The campaign start date should be about August 2010 and run 10 months.
The rules will be simple.
the time-line is September 1942 to January 1943 and you can cover all aspects of the battle.
You can model the thrust to Stalingrad to the street fighting to the counter attack by Russian troops to the airlift of supplies to the German relief effort to German surrender.
All troops that fought are allowed, All vehicles and planes that fought there are allowed.
To get your ribbon it must be a Diorama.
All scales are allowed
At least 1 good clear photo must be posted in the gallery
WIP are Mandatory, All updates must have photo's included. I know that is a pain, But I think it is necessary.
I think that the campaign should be at least 8 months long, What do all of you think? Longer or shorter?
I am going to call the campaign Four Battles that changed WW2,
the rest will be El Alamein, Normandy, Kursk.
What do all of you think of this so far? Please give me your thoughts and criticism.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Bruce
guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC
I think your ideas are great, but if we are considering all of WWII it makes sense to include at least a couple major battles of the Pacific, say as 'options'. That would keep you from having to reorganize everything that you have done so far.

Some suggestions: Pearl Harbor, Midway, Guadalcanal. Although Guadalcanal was a campaign, or series of battles; all three had a major impact on the war's progress, as well as immediate repercussions for all sides.

I realize that there is a Pacific campaign getting ready to start up, but since we are considering the 'campaign of campaigns' I thought it would make sense to cover both Theaters.

grayghost666
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hello Billy,
Good point.
We could start with Japanese invasion of the Philippines after Stalingrad campaign.
I am trying to leave Pearl out, A member over at MSW is going to do a Pearl Harbor campaign next year.
After that how about doing a Guadalcanal Campaign after El Alamein. That was a turning point of the pacific war.
Then the following : Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa to finish.
You realize that this type of campaign will be about 3-5 years long. We might lose interest in it after a while. It will be a long campaign and with the Pacific Campaign starting I do not want to infringe on Bob's great campaign.
So what do all of you think, Should Pacific Diorama be included? Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP