_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How do I do sand?
BoarHead
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
I am building a lufwaffe plane that worked in libia and I wanted to create a base for it. How do I do the sand? Any article you can recommend? Thanks

(++) B H (++)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
If you've got a nursery school next to you you can go there and ask for the sand they've got to let the children play. It's a very fine grain quartz sand that you can sprinkle on the base base where your model will sit on whhich you brushed a mixture (I do it at 50%) of white gle and tap water. Usually they don't mind to give you a couple of handfuls of it for free.
Ciao
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
One big factor will be scale.
I've seen a 1/72 scale sand tarmac done with sandpaper. Since the tarmac will be flat, they just took the correct grit sandpaper glued it down and painted it.

scoccia has offered another great way to do it too.

You can experiment with different 'sands' using scoccia's method. Coffee grounds (seal them well), crushed kitty litter, sifted earth, and you can check out RR shops and see what kinds of balast product they offer.

One other thing I have done is to put down a layer of household spackle and press the 'sand' product into it, an other time I let the spackle dry then used the white glue water base.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
I went to a local gun range to target shoot with my dad, and picked up some fine grain sand that they use on the burms. it looks really neat, and authentic.

If you go to the nursery do it when there are no kids there or they are inside. It would look a little weird!

~CHip #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
I use regular dirt from my yard sifted thru an old nylon stocking....
BoarHead
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
The fact is that I dont want it to be volatile .. if I turn it upside down the sand wont come off .. is there any way to glue it? Or to emulate sand?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
Diluted white glue (with water) applied, then I sift the dirt over that and let it fall into place...
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
Kitty litter or oil dry is good for sand. If you are looking for really fine grains of sand, go to a machine shop where they do sand blasting. Get a couple of hand fulls of that stuff. Works great.

Patrick
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:36 PM UTC
To seal it, I coated my B7N Grace dio in testors dullcote. None of the sand even moves now.

~Chip
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC
I recommend sand paper unless the dio has ridges and cliffs.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
Ola Boarhead

I would reccommend going to the animal shop and buy a pack of birdcage sand. This sand is made from crushed clams and shells. It`s white and really fine grain sand and it`s really cheap. Use the diluted white glue mixture mentioned before and sprinkle it on.
When dried you can paint/spray it in every color you like

My 2 cents

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:37 PM UTC
I use the sprinkled sand method like Sciossia. I get my shape,(wheel/track marks and ridges etc) then wet it with a pump spray of white glue, sprinkle sand/dirt on it, then a final spray of the white glue. Key is to build your base shape and paint it close to or the same color as the sand/dirt
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
I do the same thing as alot of you, and i find its the best way, using real fine sand, its free and works great, cheers
BoarHead
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
If you see a picture of a desert you will notice that the wind creates a pattern in the sand; some kind of ridges appear. What element would you recommend me to create those elevations? (then to be covered with glue and sand).

A couple of years ago I used in my house a kind of insulating foam that dries and it's easy to cut... Is it any good in this case?

Thank you (++) B H (++)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Boarhead

To create those ridges I suggest smearing a layer of Wallspackle on top of your base and while that is still wet go with a pice of cardboard wich you have cut to shape first and creat this ridges by pushing it in one direction into the wallspackle and repeat these steps over and over with a distance of a couple of millimeters between it. Once the wallspackle has dried you can overspray it with diluted white glue and add/sprinkle the birdcagesand over it once that mix has dried you can paint the whole thing

_GOTOTOP