Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter 1/72 M113 ACAV Build
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 06:57 PM UTC
As I mentioned in the discussion for my in-box review of the Trumpeter kit, I have decided it sooner than later. So far just some basic assembly, getting road wheels ready and test fitting some of the hull components. Also deciding what details to add, leave as-is, or omit. This model was purchased by myself and the build is completely my own doing and opinions. (Were Trumpter wanting me to review the M1 series of kits, I'd me MORE than happy to do a build comparison to the Revell kits :-)

Test fit of hull, side view. Note the molded attenna guards. Unfortunately Trumpeter box art really doesn't do their models justice as it tends to emphasize flaws.

Front view. Parts are loosely fit, but you can see the large gap on the front hull panel. It should be easy to remedy and thus far is the only poorly fitting part. All of the other panels fit very well.

Engine compartment installed. Again a loose fit so forgive the appears of one of the interior panels. It actually fits quite well. Hard to believe there is now way to view the detail without modifying the kit and removing the engine access panel. Not an easy thing to do. Ejector pin marks are prominent on some interior surfaces, but should be easily filled.

Another view on the engine compartment. This time I placed the piece connecting the engine to the transmission. In case you were wondering there is a prop rod molded to the inside of the engine access panel. Its not just a flat piece of plastic, but there is now way to remove it without destroying it. Maybe they want you to buy two kits for that instance?

Not the clearest photo I've taken, but a close-up of the mounting tabs for the fenders. As most M113s in Vietnam had the fenders removed, this is a "must fix". I clipped the tabs from the kit parts and used them to fill the voids. They were a snug fit and "T" shapped so it worked out pretty well. Still need a touch of filler and to trim away the slots in this photo, but you get the idea. As most Braille scale kits go, the suspension is molded to the hull. Hard to fix if you want to pose the suspension over rough terrain, but for a Braille scale diorama, who really gets under the vehicle to notice if you take a modelers liberty and just relocate the mounting lug on the arm.

Right now I plan to have the rear ramp closed, but all top hatches open.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Kent,

Because of your in-box review I will be adding this kit to my growing small scale stash. Well I'm going to pull up a chair and follow your build. So far your off to a good start.

-Eddy
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC
I was hesitant to buy the Trumpeter kits myself. The box art shows a standard build, but is so blah that it really doesn't draw you in. I also have a M113A2. Now I'm curious to see how the M1 series of kits builds, though I like the Revell kits so far.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
Kent, I read your in-box review of this kit and am delighted to see that you've started this build log. I look forward to watching this creation take shape. I must say that it is a bit of a shame that Trumpeter provides a fairly reasonable looking engine and transmission without a way to show it off. I did a review/build of their M1126 Stryker and for a similar untold reason they had a fairly detailed interior on the inside of the rear hull plate/ramp. Perhaps you could do a little vignette of the ACAV in a rear service area with the engine components sitting on a palette awaiting a swap out.

Cheers,
tread_geek
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Front view. Parts are loosely fit, but you can see the large gap on the front hull panel. It should be easy to remedy and thus far is the only poorly fitting part. All of the other panels fit very well.

Okay, after a quick burst, I'm slowly making progress. I've filled all the ejector pin marks and taken time to look over my references. Two things have me wondering:

1. The two protrusions just aft of the radiator grille on the engine cover (above towards the left edge of the upper hull plate) are exhaust ports for a personnel heater and fuel heater that was added starting with the M113A2. At least that's what I believe them to be and when they were added. For a Vietnam M113A1, these would not be present, nor would they have been useful.
2. The kit fuel tank just is odd. It doesn't look like a M113A2 tank, but also doesn't look like the M113A1 fuel tanks I found. Could this somehow be a fuel tank used on the gasoline powered M113?

For the sake of argument, I decided to add some detail to the interior and open up the front engine access. Perhaps to eventually wind up in a diorama depicting break down on patrol. I have external photos of Vietnam issue M113's but nothing that clearly shows any interior. I have several reference books of M113A2 and later variants, but that's about it. Anyone care to help before I take artistic license?

Except for the front panel, the rest of the parts fit incredibley well so far. The hinges look like hinges. Even a detail like the stop for the commander's hatch is included. Really the more I get into this the more it is far advanced over the Esci kits.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kent, I read your in-box review of this kit and am delighted to see that you've started this build log. I look forward to watching this creation take shape. I must say that it is a bit of a shame that Trumpeter provides a fairly reasonable looking engine and transmission without a way to show it off. I did a review/build of their M1126 Stryker and for a similar untold reason they had a fairly detailed interior on the inside of the rear hull plate/ramp. Perhaps you could do a little vignette of the ACAV in a rear service area with the engine components sitting on a palette awaiting a swap out.

Cheers,
tread_geek

maybe this pic is not the right angle, but here is a M113 being stripped, might assist with ideas for you or someone else...

cheers
Neil

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC

On a side note, Goffy Models makes a resin M113 Fitter (IDF variant) :

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP