Hosted by Darren Baker
My little Stryker
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi everyone. I'd like to share a kit I originally planned to enter in the Braille Campaign. I started building and was almost done with the assembly before I saw the Campaign. I guess I'll just drop out and submit some photos here.

This is Trumpeter No. 7255 M1126 "Stryker" ICV. I added 2 Eduards PE sets and some extra stuff like the extra gear, water and soda can boxes, a 40mm Mk 19 grenade launcher from a Dragon Humvee set, and styrene to simulate extra armor on the commanders' stations. Painted with different shades of Tamiya NATO Green and oversprayed with Buff. Weathered with an oil paint and Tamiya enamel sludge mix and dry brushed using Tamiya's Weathering Master sets.

Hope you enjoy looking and criticizing this build

Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 12:06 AM UTC
Sweet looking Stryker Chaos XVI. I really like the Bar Armor work you did and the painting is excellent!
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looks fantastic....and considering the tiny scale it's quite amazing!
The slat must have been a real pain in the @ss

Cheers,
Sean
robby249
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
nice striker i like the net you made for securing the stowage
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:04 AM UTC
I saw the first picture and thought 'Looks clean, nice bar armor'. Then I saw the Tamiya jar... wow. That tiny? You must have the eyes of an ant to work on stuff this small and the patience of a monk. Really amazing! Oh and nice finish by the way.
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
I am not a fan of the modern stuff but jeez, how can you not love that. Beautiful.
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC
Thank you very much for appreciating my build.

I admit that my patience did run out a lot of times but thank God for tweezers and gel type CA glue.

robby249: the net is part of the PE set by Eduards. Almost all photos I saw of actual Strykers had the net so I had to use it. It was one of the more challenging parts to install because it was difficult to wrap it around the extra stowage. The PE parts were not always cooperative
McBain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
That's some fantastic work Toby! Both the build and painting are superb. Where did you get the stowage from? Those Coca Cola boxes are great!

Regards

Alex
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Toby, others have said it, fantastic build. I am still a novice at PE so I wouldn't dream of trying what you did.

Cheers,
tread_geek
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Excellent! It looks like you need to get it on some kind of base - because it looks like you can't pick it up without handling that delicate looking armour.
Removed by original poster on 12/02/09 - 21:20:17 (GMT).
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
That is a great build. Really hard to believe its Braille scale. I think I might have to pickup the PE set for that kit so I can finish mine. I was going to build the slat armor the hard way. Scratchbuilding it in 1/35 would be tough enough but in 1/72 that is near insanity.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:39 PM UTC
I just saw this. WOW!
That's nice.
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where did you get the stowage from?

I scaled down a REAL Model set w/c is originally in 1/35th. I'm not very good with computers so reducing the image to 1/72nd was full of guesswork and i'm sure the scale I came out with is not accurate. I then printed the image on a thick paper (we call it Oslo paper. I'm not sure if you call that too in other countries) so it'll be easy to handle when folding. The MRE boxes were from a fellow modeler who has a real 1:1 First Strike MRE box. He scanned it and reduced it to 1/35th and 1/72nd and printed them on very thin board.
McBain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where did you get the stowage from?

I scaled down a REAL Model set w/c is originally in 1/35th. I'm not very good with computers so reducing the image to 1/72nd was full of guesswork and i'm sure the scale I came out with is not accurate. I then printed the image on a thick paper (we call it Oslo paper. I'm not sure if you call that too in other countries) so it'll be easy to handle when folding. The MRE boxes were from a fellow modeler who has a real 1:1 First Strike MRE box. He scanned it and reduced it to 1/35th and 1/72nd and printed them on very thin board.

Thanks Toby!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Toby,

That is one terrific build! I especailly like the cargo netting draped over all of the supplies that you so patiently made and detailed - nice job.

Thanks for sharing your build here, hope we see more of your work here too!

-Eddy
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC
Amazing great work. I came to look at this scale for modern stuff and this did not disappoint!
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
The netting is also part of the Eduards PE set (22 127). I initially thought of scratchbuilding the net but it would be a waist of PE if I did. So I decided to wrap (more like force) the PE around the extra gear before placing them on the back of the Stryker.

Re placing a base to move the finished kit around, no need sir. I put so much CA glue on the armor and supports it isn't easy for the parts to come off. I can move it around while gripping the BAR armor. See...

weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Toby utterly phenomenal build. Why do I even bother looking at work like yours and some others in this forum. Every time I think that I might post something I see work like this and it makes me think why would I want to embarrass myself.

AJ
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Toby,

thank you for building your Stryker. This gives me the extra reference on how to use the PE kit, which I desperately needed for my (same) build. I really like your Stryker. Thanks for sharing.

Jelger
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
Armorama: 277 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
You sir are a ....... SICK PUPPY

Now please understand that is said with much Respect... in our local club that is our highest honor... Myself and a couple other guys were simple stunned to see this lil beast.. I was curious how long did it take to build up the slat armor? and then the total time frame you put into her ?

A beautiful build!!!!!!!

V/R
Chris
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:02 AM UTC
Thank you guys for all the kind words. But we have to say there are a lot of better builds and modelers in this site. That's why I frequent here lately for inspiration and reference.

AJ:

I know how you feel. Looking at other modelers' builds can either inspire us or discourage us. I hope my build inspires you. Oh and by the way, that's why this is my only post so far. My other builds are pretty noobish

Jelger:

Here's a link to my WIP in a NATO Group Build I entered this Stryker in the IPMS Philippines forum boards:
http://ipmsphilippines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=1275

My best tip is to review the instructions Eduards gives. I didn't so I ended up folding and gluing parts I didn't need to install and eventually had to remove again.

Chris:

I started this build early July this year. I don't build everyday. I spend more time playing online FPS games But if I count the total hours, probably about 50 hours went into this build. More than half involved folding and installing the PE. The slat armor took about 10 hours and plenty of cursing to install

Oh and I am honored to be called a puppy (at my age that is)
 _GOTOTOP