_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OH-6a WIP for Vietnam Diorama "Low level hell
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hello everybody. Next step in my vietnam diorama "Low level hell". These are some pictures of the cockpit of the OH-6a (dragon 1/35) .

The minigun is scracht over part of the piece of Dragon, and still to do the support frame betwen the weapon and the ammo case.

The original kit had to be rebuilt because doesn´t look good for a Loach in Vietnam. All the details I put in the kit came from real pictures of Vietnam loaches. Still to do more details in the chopper main body ... As you can see, the loach was a very small chopper, and the gunner was more out that inside ¡¡¡¡

The Loach will be finished as "Darkhorse 19", a OH-6a of scout platoon "Outcast", C troop, 16th cavalry regiment in Vietnam 1972.

The loach in the diorama will be shooting a group of running NVA regulars, with a DSHK NVA AA machine gun ready to fire out of the sky the chopper ...

Comments are welcome, because this is my first scale helicopter.

Thanks in advance ¡¡¡

Santiago
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi, what a great helicopter there! Great job!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
Looking good. You should also post this over in the Aeroscale Rotary Wing Forum.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:17 PM UTC
What is your plan for hovering and making the blades rotate? I would 'clip in' the M16, add a strap to keep it in place.

So far so good, the figures are done really well.
Nightstrike
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Cool subject well executed so far. Agree with Scott about strapping the rifle in.
Justin757
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
makes me want to build a nam' dio sometime
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is your plan for hovering and making the blades rotate? I would 'clip in' the M16, add a strap to keep it in place.

So far so good, the figures are done really well.

Thank you very much for your comments.
About the rifle, it´s there only for picture, no glue at all. Of course it will have his strap and will be fixed to the loach (no pilot wants his weapon fling away in a hard break
About the rotors, the tail one will be a circle of clear plastic with the shadow of the rotor airbrushed. Still thinking about the main rotor

Santiago
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
HI Csago. Amazing work! Great to see your still carrying on with this diorama!.
Great work on your OH-6a.

Please keep it coming!

Jaymes

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
Well,
the main rotor can be similar to the tail. It can also be the rotor (or scratch build a piece) with a 'swosh' clear piece attached to it.
There is a thread somewhere on KitMaker that shows exactally what I mean. I'm going to try to find it.
familiar
Visit this Community
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
wow,good detail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC
You may want to reconsider the main rotors as a clear disks. If you look at still pics of helos in flight, most pictures freeze at least the main rotor blades and they can be seen clearly. They do not usually appear as blurred disks.

Examples.

Fang16
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
I know this is an old post but I just found it while looking for pix of OH-6A's. I was the Outcast platoon sergeant for a 1.5 years from 70-72. After reading about "clipping in" the M-16 I must say we never did that. It just layed there. You didn't have to worry about losing anything in a turn, wingover, etc because of centrifugal forces. You may also be interested to know that we carried our own bombs. They were made of "mostly" 2 sticks of c4 taped together with "usually" a concussion grenade. I use the term “mostly” and “usually” as this bombs were made by the crews and the imagination was the limit. We made some really big stuff. LOL The bombs were carried in wooden boxes and numbered anywhere from 20 to 60 bombs.
SoumiArbs
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Very nice work. Keep us posted.
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this is an old post but I just found it while looking for pix of OH-6A's. I was the Outcast platoon sergeant for a 1.5 years from 70-72. After reading about "clipping in" the M-16 I must say we never did that. It just layed there. You didn't have to worry about losing anything in a turn, wingover, etc because of centrifugal forces. You may also be interested to know that we carried our own bombs. They were made of "mostly" 2 sticks of c4 taped together with "usually" a concussion grenade. I use the term “mostly” and “usually” as this bombs were made by the crews and the imagination was the limit. We made some really big stuff. LOL The bombs were carried in wooden boxes and numbered anywhere from 20 to 60 bombs.

Thank you very much for your information, because I,m very interested in first hand reports about Outcasts in 1972.

I have some accounts from Hugh Mills about colours of inside the cockpit and other details of the Oh-6a, but I need some information about the crew of Darkhorse 19 about mid 1972.

As mister Mills told me, the pilot in the picture was Tim Kolberg, but I found no tracks about mister Kolberg, so I know nothing about the helmet art of the pilot we can imagine in the picture.

So please, do you know something about the pilot of Darkhorse 19 in the picture about, and about his helmet art, and about the helmet art of his observer/gunner ???? I´m trying to found this information 5 years ago, but with no results till now...

By the way, there is a very good decals about Outcast birds from Fireworks models 1/35 scale.

Thank you very much in advance...

P.S. The Oh-6a I´m doing is for a big diorama... it´s in progress and looks something like these

Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 05:48 PM UTC
I like where the layout is heading. Will keep watching for updates. Have fun! Warren
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 08:18 PM UTC
Amazing amount of detail you have packed into the loach. Do you have any more photos of the base?
Lagumiles
KitMaker: 156 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 07:58 PM UTC
Great detail level so as for the diorama. I hope to see all toghether soon. Awesome.
Moreno
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Now, after some time stopped, I,m working hard on the OH-6A...the diorama "Low Level Hell" is almost finished, so it´s time to end the chopper...some pictures of the finished cabin, with 2 halves glued for working the outside...

Painted with Vallejo acrilics and wheathering with AK-INTERACTIVE products...

Thanks in advance...

_GOTOTOP