_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1917 6 ton tank from RPM 1/35th FT-17
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
I am considering building a M1917 6 ton tank from a RPM 1/35th FT-17 light tank.

Looking at photos of preserved examples, I can see differences in the running gear and drivers compartment armor, however what is not apparent is the other changes made in the design to the engine compartment to accommodate the US designed engine rather than the french one. I have seen photos of the M1917A1 rebuild which shows the extended engine compartment to accommodate a larger engine, however this was done in the 1930s to a limited number of tanks, anyone know how extensive this rebuild was.

Thanks

Ian

Mark131
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
I have been interested in doing one of there M1917 6 tonners in Canadian service in 1939/40. The best book I have found is the Armour Photogallery 15 'French Light tank Renault FT & US 6 Ton Tank M1917'. This has plans and also photos of the later which will really help you. There is also one at the West Point Museum, if you are close by!
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I have just picked up that book and the info it contains will be very useful when I kitbash my M1917.
On first impressions, the kitbash will be fairly straight forward (reshaping the drivers compartment, new exhaust, reshaping the main roller, modifying the tensioning system)

I am also considering building a Canadian example, however I have only come across a handful of photos on line showing them in use, most of which show the tank been transported from the US.
One shot does show the tanks in use in Canada,
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/can/Can-M1917-CampBorden.jpg
From the shot It appears that the turret is reversed and the access doors on the back of the turret have been removed. Now if someone can help with the markings.

As for preserved examples, I found this PDF:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_6ton_M1917.pdf
Nearly all are thousands of miles from me here in the Pacific North Wet

Ian
 _GOTOTOP