Steyr rso
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC
Guys:
I'm putting the final touches on my RSO but while going thru my book Panzer Colors by squadron I found two pictures, #1 on page 92 and #2 on page95 that shows rectangle things hanging off the side of the bed, does anybody know what they are

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
Whiterook, I looked at both of those photos and have no idea what these things are. I searched on-line but came up with nothing. Perhaps they have something to do with the tracks or maybe the flak itself. They are too wide to be replacement track links but perhaps they were used to help Steyr get out of thick mud. I am totally guessing here. Sorry, I know this wasn't much help.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
I took another look at the mysterious items and I have another thought. Maybe they were attached to the tracks during winter to help the vehicle stay on top of the snow. I say that because each one has a knobby thing sticking out of it. It almost looks like something designed for digging into the ground and gripping it. I don't know. What do you think?
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I took another look at the mysterious items and I have another thought. Maybe they were attached to the tracks during winter to help the vehicle stay on top of the snow. I say that because each one has a knobby thing sticking out of it. It almost looks like something designed for digging into the ground and gripping it. I don't know. What do you think?

I'm pretty sure you're right. I believe I remember reading that a while back.
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC
Marty:
That sounds pretty good to me, I'll try reserching a little more and if I find anything more out I'll let you know THANKS.

Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:54 PM UTC
any way you can scan the pic for us to see? maybe someone will know by looking at it but doesn't have the book.
wangman7
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
If I remember correctly they are made of wood and are added to the tracks in the spirit of things like ice cleats and grousers. They were used in soft terrain, like snow or bogs, to reduce the ground pressure. The first time I saw them I thought of pig iron ingots. I think there is a RSO book that identifies those blocks. I’ll see if I can find and post some pictures too.
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
Tread heads:
I don' t own a scanner so thats a big zero, but Marty I found some more I think on page # 19 top foto, they don't look like j-cans but its hard to tell.
Thanks for all the help you guys.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
wangman7 is right about them, they were to place under the tracks to cross bogs,snow etc but wernt carried too often, so its your choice if you want to add them or not
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
Master Sereagnt:
Where did you find this out, any close up pic.,I'd like to try and scrach build some but need a little more pic. details
THANKS everyone.

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
i saw it in an article on www.achtung-panzer.com, its a great site for any german armour etc
check it out!

joe
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread heads:
I don' t own a scanner so thats a big zero, but Marty I found some more I think on page # 19 top foto, they don't look like j-cans but its hard to tell.

Whiterook, thats a different vehicle and the fitting serve a different purpose. That half-track is the Sd.Kfz 10/4, the boxes contain the ammo mags for the 20mm FLAK it carried.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
Check out this photo. It is a pretty good close-up photo of a model someone built. It has the things you are looking for.

Click here
 _GOTOTOP