_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building techniques
AKADave
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
I generally try to completely build my models and then paint rather than paint as you go. Some tanks and AFV's lend themselved to that more than others but for the most part any closed top tank I build up, sometimes leaving the track off and then paint it. Anyone do it differently?
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:47 AM UTC
you won't get a definite answer here. I usally try to put everything possible on the model before painting (with the exclusion of the running gear and tracks, and towing cables if they are supplied). I get the model painted, then do the running gear (then i assemble them). then i finish the tracks and towing cables and then assemble them. after that, i go over all the detailed painting.
Dogwatch
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
After getting back into this hobby, I started painting and then assembling...sometimes it works better, but I notice a number of people here that have tremendous skill doing it the other way. Whatever works as long as you have fun.

Steve
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
I always build the basic vehicle & paint it, usually with the running gear, less track, installed. Tools, stowage & track are usually painted off the vehicle and added although sometimes I will then add a tarp made from epoxy and that has to be painted on the vehicle as it is formed over the already painted items below.

I then gloss coat, and decal or spray markings and closs coat again.

Then add the track and remaining stowage.

Then weathering.

Specific models may vary from this a bit depending up th econfiguration.

All of which is a wordy way to say "It depends."

Paul
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 12:56 PM UTC
I'm still indecisive on this matter...it seems like with every kit I do, I build it the other way. They each have their ups and downs, as you said in the beginning Dave, and different vehicles seem to be better built first then painted while others should be painted during construction. Before I build, I always take a VERY detailed walk-through of the instructions and then decide how I should build it. Usually something pretty solid, like a tank or BMP, can be painted at the end, but more open models or ones with an ample amount of smaller details, nooks, and crannies, like a BM-13 Katyusha, should be painted beforehand. I didn't do that with my Katyusha and she turned out to be quite a mess...
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 06:28 PM UTC
like most people i build as much as possible before painting and usually leave wheels and tracks for separate painting. if there is an interior i paint that before closing up the the hull halves.

but i ran into a unique project with the KS750 motorcycle. it had so many different coloured parts and no way to mask the small and fragile elements. also the engine need to be painted before going into the frame right from the start. for the first time every i was painting every single step of the instructions and then gluing the parts together. this really dragged things out but it was the most logical way for me and my skill set to tackle this tiny kit. cheers, mh
 _GOTOTOP