_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
trouble masterclub tracks bmp-2
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hello fellow plastic fans.

I need to share something with you all.
I building models for 25 years and never seen this...
Has anyone used the tracks from Masterclub and came to the same outcome as I did..

They dont fit and tent to brake verry easy..

As some of you know Iam rebuilding a bmp2 to today standards.(there is 40% left off the original kit)
So the tracks and roadwheels/sproket ect had to go..
I bought the sets! from masterclub because of there scale and detail..
Roadwheels and sprockets are perfect, BUT.. the tracklinks dont fit one and the other very well.
If you look at them they brake...try to get them around the sprocket they brake.
get them on top of the toprollers they brake.. ect ect..

If they brake it is not so that you can`t used them anymore....you just put them together again and try again ...but trying it 25 times.
I can`t glue them because I can`t compleet 1 side...

And the story go on..
So I bought the Trumpeter tracks set ..These are A tight fit...But after a piece off 10cm was done ....The test fit did not fit the masterclub sprocket..
So I gave the masterclub tracks other try (26x) ..then by my 28 testfit..

.........The model fell to ground.........................................

So this model will not be done bij the end of this year.

Has anyone come up with a way to make use of the masterclub tracks..
They are resin.
Again I can glue them to the model as, because of paint and armour plating.
Also I can`t glue the in pieces, (try that and they brake)

thank you all
chris
leo1vtanker
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives.
It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
Charles Darwin.

Why not break up the entire track into a few subsections with tracklinks glued together. Combine your subsections into an entire track. I see no reason not to use the Masterclub tracks you set out to use in the first place.

I've used Masterclub on my SA-6 and they had a tendency to break constantly too. No biggie... that's what glue was invented for. That combined with a bit of patience and persistance makes perfect track.

Aloha,
Marcel
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:48 AM UTC
I built one T80 track set from them. The lins are fragile and break a lot. I think the issue here is that sometimes the connector pins are simply too large and it is impossible to click some links together. If you try to force the links together they will damage the socket where the pin should go ( or break the link in two, as if often happens to T80 tracks) I solved this by trimming the larger pins with a new scalpel blade, carefully not to cut off the entire pin. Anyway, these tracks are fragile, and as Marcel said, its a good idea not to assemble the entire run but to paint and weather in in smaller segments.
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
Marcel/arpad.

As you both are saying, they break too, so it wasn`t my batch of tracks. That was one of the information I needed.

Marcel.
If you have time too look at my other builds, patience and persistance are my middle name...
I tried building in sections but then again they broke, thank you for thinking with me.
But I think that your right that that is the only way.

chris

andymon
Visit this Community
Hamburg, Germany
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi,

i have build a BMP-1 with the Masterclub tracks and no problems i have with this, but for my PT-76 i have many problems with the track links from Masterclub. Many are broken and will not fit together. I have now the Friul track, and this is very good.

Andreas
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
I've used both the BMP1 and BMP2 tracks by Masterclub, haven't broke one yet. You know there are different links that go around the sprocket and idler from the rest of the track. They are packaged with the sprocket and idler. You can tell them because the end connectors are canted. You can't be hamfisted and man handel these tracks.
gizmo21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Andreas, thank you for your reply

Tony.
Also thank you for your input.
The way it was packaged was not same, mine was one bag with sprocket iller and tracks.
But I did not brake them ,..the track breaks lose so the say ..when putting it on. the fit is perfect
but when I try (20times) to put it around the idler/sprocket ect the links start to come loose
Also the track is not too tight.

well ...i just go for attampt no 30 then...

thanks
chris
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
I had some similar trouble with Miniarm's resin T-90 tracks. They had a tendency to fall apart and I had to redo them a few times, although as others have said I managed to sort this out with some super glue. Now they are fine. As for workable tracks.... no way, they are far to delicate, but my T-90 is in a diorama so I'm not bothered about that

I know Miniarm do a BMP wheel set but I am not sure about tracks. If they do it might be a good idea. I found their T-90 tracks very good and just as good as Modelkasten.

_GOTOTOP