_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British field rations boxes/MRE in Gulf War 1
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hello,
is it possible that the MRE boxes used by the british in 1990-91 looked pretty much the same as during the 2003 campaign? Would these be sufficient for the Gulf War 1? http://www.realmodel.cz/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3636&zenid=0290040195ac069ad9eef6d0ff2c98ad

Thank you for any answer

Jiri
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:05 AM UTC
There was not too much difference in the box design if any really, it was after 2003 that the rations and the boxes started too change.
If you want a decent site to get info on the British services try the official MOD site, it gives daily news and equipment updates with links to various older stories and manufacturers. Its at [url=http://www.mod.uk/defenceinternet/defencenews/[/url]
There is a pretty good image database also.
If you are interested in the Jackel, then there a number of stories on that and a link to Supacat, the manufacturer, with alot of info, for example.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
To the best of my knowledge the GP rations are good for Op Telic but GS (compo?) rations were used in Op Granby.

I created this set, http://flashpages.prodigy.net/ptruhe/armormod/britratsgp.pdf, for GP rations in 1/16 and /135 in 2005 and have been searching for GS rations ever since. I've got the pictures and dimensions for the 4 man pack but just haven't gotten around to doing the graphics.

Here's what it looks like put together:

Paul
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
Paul, they're great.
I've been looking for British compo rations for ages.

I managed to lash up some 4 man packs from guesswork looking at some of my old army photos. I ended up with some tan painted .5cm x .5cm x 1cm boxes that vaguely looked "about right" to stack on the top of a Sultan. No graphics though.

Any chance you'll be putting the 4man packs on paper sometime? (please?)
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
They will most likely have changed as during the first Gulf War the boxes where packed at/by the NAAFI warehouses in Wiltshire. By the second Gulf War the NAAFI was no longer, as the government decided that an alternate provider was to be used, and it has changed quite a few times since then.
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 11:35 PM UTC
Skarik, as I said before, there is very little difference between gw1 and gw2 ration packs. The 1-man ration boxes are a little more squat 'now' (gw2) because the rations are in bags(boil in the bag) as opposed to being in tins(gw1). The latest 1-man boxes also have a Union Jack on one end. The 1-man boxes are packed,10 to a box.
The 10-man rations will have also changed but I don't know how or to what extent, certainly the menus will have changed,to reflect the modern taste of servicemen, much like the 1-man packs.
If you look at the website that I mentioned in my previous post and use the search facility you will see examples of ration packs.
Many moons ago, my unit was one of the units chosen to trial the 'new' boil in the bag rations, they certainly got better as time went on!
If you look on the UK version of Ebay and type in rations, sometimes you will find the british army rations on there for sale, these may help to show what the boxes look like.
Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP