_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMP-1A1 "Ost" questions
KursadA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
What modifications are required to build a former-DDR BMP-1A1 "Ost" as it was used in Greek and now in Iraqi service? I can see that there is a row of Wegmann smoke grenade launchers at the back of the turret and rear-viiew mirrors are added; but I don't have detailed photos to use as a reference.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:39 AM UTC
Here are some infos I've found about BMP-1A1s :
"The Federal Republic of Germany's Bundeswehr inherited 764 Soviet made BMP-1s (KM3 / Kurgan Factory) from East German NVA stockpiles. These vehicles were brought up to Bundeswehr safety standards and redesignated BMP-1A1 OST. German Ministry of Defense soon decided to declare the modified BMP-1s "surplus" due to economical and political reasons. 500 of the vehicles were sold to the Hellenic Army in 1993 -1994, at a price roughly covering the cost of modification. The remaining vehicles (264) were sold to the Swedish Army, who redesignated them as Pbv501 ( http://www.fmv.se/BMP1/pbv501_main.html ). All Soviet style headlights, signal lights, dimmed driving lights, position lights and mirrors were replaced by new parts identical to those on the Marder-2 IFV. The Sagger A/T missile system was removed and the missile loading hatch was welded closed. The mounting lug for a Spigot/ Spandrel 9P135 launcher was added to the turret roof. After 1995 Hellenic Army BMP-1A1s received a mount for a .50 caliber Browning M2HB machine gun on the turret, in front of the commander's cupola.
The accident-prone automatic loader of the 73mm 2A28 Grom gun was removed as it was very difficult to maintain and a safety hazard to the crew."

HTH
Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP