_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80B with ERA question
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi

Do any knows if the early T-80B with the added glacis armor receive the ERA fittings? all pictures that I found have the flush glacis without added armor, any picture is welcome

thanks
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC

T-80BV with mounting lugs for ERA, BUT, no ERA attached.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
I don't see where that picture is of much help, it doesn't have the added glacis armor.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
It doesn't surprise me... Neither I've never seen a T-72B with era, based on a T-72 with added glacis armor, but I can be wrong. Best regards.

José.
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques but I refer to the T-80B with applique glacis armor

direct Link: http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/25150/t-80b_006_of_439.jpg

thanks again

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:47 PM UTC
First, I guess the version you aqre referring to has been loosly called the T-80B1. Not sure if that is a real designator or not (I doubt it). I also have not been able to determine how many T-80B were uparmored, if it was a wide spread thing, or a short term/short run project until ERA became available.

Second, no, I have no pictures of these uparmored T-80B's being made into BV's or into any other upgraded version (Rogatka etc...). My guess is that they may have been scrapped in the 1990's. However, there is nothing physically impeding the addition of ERA, so while I have not seen a photo of one, there sure could have been.

Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC
There are no T-80B with 30mm plate and ERA together, at least no officially funded ones, there maybe a few hybrids made by local repair facilities, stranger things have happened. Since T-80BV took over production lines, it had improved front hull armor so that there was no need for applique and ERA could be installed over falt plate.
Nordland
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Raul,

Do you have more pictures of this specific T-80? I would like to use the camo scheme on a T- 80 project I am working on. I have the Dragon kit made OOB, and would some more colorful scheme than the one color green from the instructions

Best regards from Denmark
Morten
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
1. It is a museum piece painted in standard modern Russian cammo. Not sure if this is legit.

2. More pictures can be found in this primeportal folder...like 15 pages.

I looked into it a little more and while I can still not find any numbers on how many T-80B were modified this way, essentially what George and I were talkingabout seems to be the truth: T-64B and T-80B were found to be vulnerable to the "new" 105mm gun/ammo systems, especially after some Isreali ammo was tested in the Soviet Union, and so they welded 2 30mm sheets, for a total of 60mm, to the front glacis of both tanks to beef them up. This was more of a concern with the T-64 series than the T-80B for some reason, as there are far more T-64's converted (or at least photographed) than T-80B's. Not too long after, ERA bricks became available, so not upgraded tanks were simply equiped with ERA instead of the added front glacis armor. New T-80B had built in improved glacis armor, IIRC, but I need to look into that to be sure (this would be the improvement of the hull that would lead to the T-80U type hull).

and yes, the T-64B with the added glacis armor were fitted with ERA as well.

Notice the cutout in front of the driers hatch and around the glacis mounting lug strips.
Nordland
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Jacque,
Happy new year :-)
Thank you for pointing me in the direction - don´t know why I missed the Primeportal link - must be a january first, thing :-)

Best regards
Morten
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques

Really interesting picture of the T-64BV seems that is hasnt the antiradiation lining on the upper hull, really interesting, thanks!!!!

regards
 _GOTOTOP