_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Crusader AA Mk.III 11th Armoured Div
ptr
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
I would like to build my Italeri Crusader AA Mk.III as a vehicle of 11th Armoured Division in Normandy. But in my resources I have only pictures of pre D-day vehicles (and Mk.II version only) and also google found nothing (wrong query?). Does anybody have a photo, drawing or anything else (serial number, rules used for placing div signs etc.) that could help me?
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
I've been doing quite a lot of modelling 11 Armd Div vehicles (28 so far!) so I hope the bit of info I've gleaned may be of some help to you.

The Crusader AA would have been primarily used by the Armoured Regt HQ Squadrons who each had 6 on strength in a dedicated AA Troop. The AoS for these would have been 51 (23 Hussars), 52 (3RTR) or 53 (2nd Fife & Forfarshire Yeomanry) in white on a red square.
The Armd Recce Regt (2 Northants Yeomanry or later 15/19 Hussars) had 5 issued, again in an HQ Sqn AA Tp. AoS was 45 in white on a green over blue square.
The AA Tps of all the above were disbanded after Normandy, but reinstated (on paper at least) in May 1945.

The Crusader AA was also issued to Div HQ and the Armd Bde HQ (2 each) .
40 in white on black or 50 in white on red would be the AoS here.
Infantry Bde HQ or Battalions did not have them.

The Div sign was a black bull with red embelishments on a yellow rectangle (the Raging Bull).

AoS were usually on the front offside (left as you look at it) and the Raging Bull on the nearside wings. Swap for the rear so the AoS is still on the left as you look at it. I say usually as there are photos of different vehicles having their markings on either side.

All the records of Serial Numbers I've seen are recorded as being for groups of Crusader variants as follows:
T123633 to T126269 Crusader II, III, OP, AA Mk I and Mk II
T126270 to T127269 Crusader III, OP and AA Mk II

Other probable markings:
A diamond tac sign on the turret sides for Armd Regt vehicles (in red for 23H, yellow for 3RTR, blue for 2F&F, white for 15/19H and 2Northants)
And last but not least, the good old Allied Star.

Hope that helps.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi ptr,

11 Armd Div landed in Normandy on the 13th and 14th of June 44 as they were not part of the initial assault force. Some forward elements may have landed on the 9th.

Al
ptr
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC
delayed thanks both for valuable information.
Here is the result:

Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
Very nice indeed Ptr.

And a good choice on the Unit too.
 _GOTOTOP