_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
I think I'm going to cry
ab5000
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
EDIT: Sorry the post should have said - I'm so happy I think I'm gonna cry!!!

I have been thinking about getting back into scale modelling for a while now and have lately taking the plunge. I'm a creature of the Cold War and was really excitied to build some BTR's, BMP's and maybe even the odd T-64 or a personal dream build the SS-20 mobile launcher.

I've been searching around for a forum or website that cover's things besides World War II vehicles and I just stumbled on this site..... Wow... Other people that want to build Cold War era models!!!! I'm so excited...

OK couple of questions:
1. Who makes the most Cold War vehicles especially Soviet and is 1/35 the sort of defacto standard like WWII modelling.

2. Is there a SS-20 model out there (I haven't seen any!)

3. Who is the best paint manufacturer for Soviet Cold War colors?

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:57 AM UTC
I suspect Zvesda, DML, and Trumpeter would give you a fair selection to get started with. Sorry I don't have a clue about the other two questions.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
The famous BTR, BMP and T-64 were made by Dragon and later "copied" (reboxed) by other makers like Zvezda and Revell.
The T-64 was made in diiferent types by SKIF. Also Trumpeter plans to bring us kits.
But be careful, the BMP-kits by Dragon are not really accurate, but itīs a nice kit which was released at first at the beginning of the 1990īs. Some makers have correction-sets.

I have not seen a kit of the SS-20 but the SS-25 "Sickle" (RS-12M Topol) was made by "Armory" in 1/72 scale. (resin-kit)

greetings...
Soeren
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Andy,

First off, welcome aboard.

There's a bunch of guys here who are very well versed in Cold War armor and who will be able to give you some very sound advice.

But here off the top of my own (non expert) head are a few pointers for you (all references to 1/35 scale kits):

I'm unaware of an SS-20, but Dragon do an SS-1c Scud on a MAZ-543 TEL transporter. It's not the easiest of builds and not without issues (but if you listen to the experts, what kit isn't?!), but it does look very impressive built up.

The Tamiya T-55 is also a wonderful kit, easy to build and quite accurate. That might be a great place to start. Tamiya do a T-72 M1 "Russian Army Tank", but the version they've kitted is (strictly speaking) only accurate for an East German Army vehicle if built out of the box.

Trumpeter have just bought out a new T-62, and the concensus seems to be that while it's a great impovement on the old Tamiya offering, the Trumps could have done better (I'm just going on reviews I've read for that, I've not built or seen it for myself).

Verlinden also bought out a series of Russian BRDM-based AA vehicle kits (Gaskin, Sagger, Fagot) in resin back in the 90s, and just recently I've seen these being sold off quite cheaply at various online model stores.

We're still waiting for some really state-of-the-art (and accurate) T-80s and T-90s (as well as T-64s).

In short, there is LOTS of Cold War Soviet stuff available, especially from the various Eastern European manufacturers. HOWEVER, the quality is very mixed and there are a lot of turkeys out there. So caution and the reading of kit reviews are definitely advised. I guess that to a great extent it will depend on how big your budget is and what your expectations are.

But any questions, just ask away here and I'm sure you'll find help. Some of the blokes here are very knowledgable in your area of interest.

Hope that helps.

- Steve
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Andy.
there's a whole industry dedicated to updating and converting the "turkeys" Steve mentioned. Masterclub and Minarm are companies that spring to mind that produce resin upgrades for soviet kits.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
hello
theres also panzershop but v expensive!
ab5000
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks everyone... I really appreciate folks comments. I just completed a kit today - an Airfix armored car - Saladin. I have picked up a "ton" of Airfix 1/76 models to work on my skills and painting skills - all Cold War of course but British

One thing I've learned in life is to start simple and work your way up.

I'm gonna build a few, practice my construction techniques and painting and move my way up to some of the nicer 1/35 models and maybe dioramas.

Ohhh one more question has anyone ever heard of ICM or ACE models and are they any goobd?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
ICM Zil trucks are decent enough to be built, I've built two fuel tanks to put them next to couple of my A/C kits, can't say anything about BTRs though. ACE kits are short run technology, when you can get a hold of a mould that is of the first hundred of runs for a given kit, then it is buildable, otherwise chunky, warped white plastic sinking in flash...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hello Andy,

Glad to see a fellow Sovio-Russio-phile.

Anyhow, there is such depth and bredth to your questions that it might be easier if you asked for advice based on scale and subject. Also, read through about 50 pages of threads here as there is a TON of previous advice and opinion on almost all kits available.

Now, I was unaware that Armory had released the SS-25 (I will look into it)...though I do have the 1/72 ZZ Model 9P78E Iskander (SS-26) in resin.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Andy !

Great to see you posting here ! And Welcome to the Cold War Era 'Fan Club'.

There are a lot of nice Cold war era kits.....

Leopard 1's, Soviet machines, etc, etc, etc. from many different manufacturer's.

I'm definately into Soviet and Modern Russian armor at the moment, they seem quite 'exotic' to me

Now if you decide on 1/35 scale, there is a lot about - you may want to hone your skills on some Tamiya produced products (which go together really easily)..

The Tamiya T-55 and T-72 come to mind. You can build something nice on each 'Out of the Box', or you can do what ever you like using conversions and aftermarket bits and pieces (depending on your budget).

I'm on a T-72 and T-64 "kick" at the moment and have just finished a DDR T-72, and I'm working on a Soviet T-72A using some nice aftermarket kits.

I have also got the T-64B on the drawing board.

Make sure you post pics of your builds here and feel free to ask any questions you have

Cheers

Paul
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ohhh one more question has anyone ever heard of ICM or ACE models and are they any goobd?

You'll find a few reviews for ICM kits here.

Frenchy
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
@Jacques: Iīm not sure where I found the boxart-picture. (I have a big collection)

to topic:
Also if you want to build 1/72 small-scale model kits, I can recommend Ace-model.
http://www.acemodel.com.ua/
The quality of their products now is much better than the first kits, but not comparable with the big ones. ("short-run-kits") But you can find (and build) some rare vehicles!
Also on the webpage you can see some photos of the kits-contents and some built kits.

hope this helps....
Soeren
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The famous BTR, BMP and T-64 were made by Dragon and later "copied" (reboxed) by other makers like Zvezda and Revell.
The T-64 was made in diiferent types by SKIF. Also Trumpeter plans to bring us kits.
But be careful, the BMP-kits by Dragon are not really accurate, but itīs a nice kit which was released at first at the beginning of the 1990īs. Some makers have correction-sets.

I have not seen a kit of the SS-20 but the SS-25 "Sickle" (RS-12M Topol) was made by "Armory" in 1/72 scale. (resin-kit)

greetings...
Soeren

Dragon never made a T-64 series of kits. Skif is the only maker of the T-64. Skif also makes a T-80 and BMP-3 (or was it Trumpeter that gave us the first BMP-3?).

Dragon made the T-72 (several versions), T-80 (several versions), BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-2E, BTR-70, BTR-80, BRDM-2 (and a mislabled BRDM-3), SCUD, ZSU-23-4 (2 diff ones), and probably a few I've missed. Many of them have been released in different boxes by Revell, Italeri, and Zvezda.

Tamiya gave us the cream of the crop T-55 and a fairly decent T-72.

ICM kits are decent and newer ACE kits are too. ACE kits are made as limited run kits and as such, they tend to have cruder moldings that even the old Airfix kits you are trying to build. They are not kits I would recomment to a beginner. ACE kits are 1/72 scale as well and not 1/35.
 _GOTOTOP