_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
new dio finished - "Der Meuchelmörder"
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi,
Just thought i'd post my completed new dio, i call it " Der Meuchelmörder" which translates to english from german as " The Assassin".
Heres a pic

More can be seen on this link
Der Meuchelmörder

as ususal comment and crits gladley accepted.
thanks
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
Awesome.............The figs are great and the dio has a great story!just one thing.........that lichen just looks like.......lichen........maybe you can use some thing different?
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
good thing i checked the link!!!!! #:-)
here you go
Der Meuchelmörder
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that lichen just looks like.......lichen........maybe you can use some thing different?

I must agree with Airwarrior on this one. Your bushes would look so much better if you were to spray some glue on them and sprinkle dried herbs such as parsley. They are begging for some leaves. :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Mar6874. Looking good. Nice angle to see the action.
I see you have added some deatil to the bushes, but maybe needs some more. The thicker branches that are clearly visible could do with some brown or grey colurs to show branches and maybe a little variation in the green colour. Dry brushing darker colours from the bottom toward the top and lighter colours and maybe some yellows or browns from the top towards the bottom. The brush doesnt need to be dry really as the plants are quite fragile, but just to break up the one tone. Some patches of static grass spread around would add alot as well. Some debris like a few rocks or a twig to represent a fallen tree could also be cool. The actual earth looks excellent ... what have you used here?
Sorry to reign heavy, but Im hoping to help a little. The figures look really cool and the story is conveyed which is the main point. On the link you have given there is only one blurry picture ... is this the right link?
Anyways .......... excellent little dio and with some extra attention, which is still quite possible to add you could have a little stunner!! Good luck!!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The actual earth looks excellent ... what have you used here?

Thanks, thats a brown static earth type for railways called Javis "countryside scenics Dark brown"
I tried painting the litchen but like yousay it is very fragile, i'll try to adjust it with more paint and as for the twigs etc, i though about that but didnt see any that would fit and then considered that it could be on the edge of the Steppe, but i will try to find some i think it would definately add,
The link is right in my second comment, just follow the arrows as ususal.
Thanks
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:52 PM UTC
Looks great, the figs are very well done, i think the lichen i think it looks good. cheers
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:22 PM UTC
Very Nice Work

Love the idea. VEry creative. Everyone has given the tips so I will just say keep up the good work.

Hasty
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Nice Job. I like the way you added weathering to the figures.
I do agree with others on the bushes. It's an easy fix with a bit of brown paint and a small brush. Go in and paint the 'trunks' of the bushes. You'll be please that you did.
I'll echo earlier comments about adding a touch of grass too. This will blend the bushes to the ground. One thing I do in diorama building is to study the the natual scene I am depicting as well as the military one. In Europe there aren't many places where the bushes are without some type of grass also.
Ok - that said - I do like the weathering, it's nice and blends the figures well. I like the base, it gives it a nice finished touch. The concept is great, its one I haven't seen ever.

Keep up the good work.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC
Major - i like the concept and the execution... at first I thought the vegetation looked fine, but when I went to the link, I see what everyone is talking about.... here are two "post finish" work-arounds that would be easy to do to your completed dio

1) Coloration:
a) Take various colors of earth-tones and greens, and add some color to branches of the lichen... this will at least break up the otherwise "perfect green consistancy".

2) Leaves:
a) Take an old teabag, and microwave it in the oven to get out the last bits of moisture...
b) mist some thinned white glue on the lichen to give it a moist stickiness
c) then slice open the bag and sprinkle the shredded leaves over the lichen... the shreds will adhere to the glue and will harden in place once the glue evaporates and sets.
d) if the glue mist makes any of your figures shiny, just hit them with a brush and some pastel chalk to get the shine away... this will give you a nice realistic looking bit of shrubbery.

Otherswise, I really like the angles, clean visual story, and the work on the figures.... keep up the good work and keep posting!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, ive taken them into account and adjusted my dio slightly. I tried to paint the litchen but its to awkward so i sprayed the whole dio and added 2 types of stactic grass that i mixed.
ive taken an ariel photo so you can compare.
Comments to the usual address.
 _GOTOTOP