Hosted by Darren Baker
help!!
wwIImodeler
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
this is really annoying i have no idea how to make a realistic convertable roof for my type 82 kubelwagen. I want it to look like this.
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC
If you mean the actual fabric portion, you can wet down some facial-tissue/kleenex with a mixture of water and a bit of white glue, then fold the edges in (so the edges have some depth and aren't ragged). After that, roll the tissue up and then sculpt some wrinkles and folds into it. Tie it up with some small string or fishing line until it hardens, after which you can add some brass or fabric straps and buckles over the temporary string/fishing line.
wwIImodeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:41 PM UTC
I had a rough idea about the material it was the actual metal strips and how to make the structure.
Battleship_Al
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 06:24 PM UTC
The facial-tissue and white glue works very well. It can be made to look very realistic and is easy to work with. It's also inexpensive to pratice on.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 06:40 PM UTC
Which make and what scale Kubelwagen are you using ? If it's the Tamiya 1/35 you can build the frame from evergreen plastic strips for the main frame and foil ( wine bottle cork wrapper for example ) for the hinge parts. You just need a lot of patience, good eyesight, good tweezers and a steady hand.
wwIImodeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 09:03 PM UTC
it s a italeri 1/35 have a look at the finished model
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
The Italeri one is pretty simple detailwise, no mufflers, no fuel cap, no floorboards, no hood frame, no fuel tank etc, etc. So I wouldn't stress too much about the hood frame. The Tamiya one has a lot more detail to it including individual doors.

That doesn't mean the Italeri one can't be fun to detail. This is an old one I started last year ( and now in the "must finish that oneday" pile ). It's had most of the above added as well as the seats recovered. No windscreen or hood as it's based on a photo of a reccon version stripped of those.

wwIImodeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
if you have nt seen my recent topic heres my one sorry for crap photo
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC
I just noticed tonight that the inside cover of "Afrikakorps - Rommels Tropical Army in Original Color" (ISBN 0764321404) has a closeup of the rear of a Kubel and you can see the roof struts in amazing detail. If I had a scanner myself I'd get you a copy of the image, but I don't. Maybe someone else here has the book and can scan the image for you.

As an aside, that book is amazing and should be in the collection of any modeler interested in DAK subjects.
 _GOTOTOP