Hosted by Darren Baker
How Do I Make a French Street Lamp
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
Im in the process of making my dio and I need a 3 pronged or 2 pronged street lamp for 1/35th scale. Is there a site I can go to or can I make my own?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
If you are referring to a lamp that looks like a large candle arbra one main post with two or three 'arms' coming off with glass globes at the ends.
Check out AM/PE stuff - Tamiya has a kit, that has a single light flavor. That could be a base point.
As far as scratch building it. Go with Plastruct tubes and sheets and build one. You can make ornate sculpted arms with milliput and or sculpy clay. The globes could be from a doll house.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi,

Monroe Perdu has a kit of a french street with a lamp - Southern France street

HTH
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
While a nice lamp can be made from Plastruct styrene pieces to almost any desired shape or effect, you can also find some nice units on MODELMECCA.COM if you search the PLUS MODELS area... these are resin and P/E brass combo kits, and looks wonderful. Verlinden and Custom Dioramics also have offerings.... but making them from scratch is not hard at all if you have the time and tools....
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 08:28 PM UTC
Building them from plasticard and clear plastic film (for the glass) shouldn't be hard at all. Just get some "angle" and a sheet of plasticard from Evergreen the rest of the equipment you need in my view is very basic (a knife and a ruler).
Ciao
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
Another thing yo can look for is Tamyia`s roadsign set
It comes with a bunch of roadsigns, a wodden fence and two street lights and they look very cool

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
Ok, so I've had enough coffee already this am to be REALLY sarcastic.. and since the wife and kiddo are still asleep...

WARNING no actual modeling advice is present in this thread.
Warning this thread is intended as sarcasm and the poster is aware he in perpetuating broad and generally untrue stereotypes.

First make a regualr streetlamp.
Then have it chainsmoke really stinky cigarettes, don't let it bathe, get it hooked on Jerry Lewis movies, give it a snooty imperious attutude, slap a beret on top and a loaf of bread under one arm, and have it lose a couple of wars..

That ought to do it.

Ok, I feel better now.

Mike
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and have it lose a couple of wars..

What do you mean a "couple".... how bout have it NEVER win a war since around 1100 AD... sure, a battle or two led by a Corsican - and it can "pretend" it had an outcome on WWII when it marched into Paris... but a True "french" lampost should always adhere to the famous slogan of that country's military... "You can never surrender too soon or too often"!

:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:51 PM UTC
Thank you or the :

Quoted Text

WARNING no actual modeling advice is present in this thread.
Warning this thread is intended as sarcasm and the poster is aware he in perpetuating broad and generally untrue stereotypes.

Poor Lafayette must be turning in his coffin... (a literal translation of a french expression).
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
... just wondering. Would there be any country in the world that did NOT lose wars until now ?

Not all French lightposts fit your description either. Some can be found with a nice bottle of Bordeaux (what about a Médoc ?), a Frech loaf and some Camembert or Boursin... Don't forget to check out the silk stockings and lace chartelles. Some even have oysters, olives, truffles, Pastis... Yep, they've got some fancy lightposts down there in France !
 _GOTOTOP