_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Revell Cromwell (now in correct section!)
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC
Pics of my completed 1/72 Cromwell.

This is the Revell model, which I think is (sadly) out of production. Certainly I couldn't find one in the shops in the UK.

Still there's quite a few pop up on Ebay which is where this came from.

Pretty much oob, except for additions of the figure, stowage, etc.

Tarps are from tin foil (aluminum to you US folks ;-) ). The chain (a cheap piece of supermarket jewelry) was largely used to cover a slightly poor fit between hull and chassis, possibly warped in storage?

I wish I hadn't added the (incorrect) turret top star - at the time I had no micro sol/set and wasn't confident I'd get the larger decal to bed down in the centre of the turret. Think I may change it at some point

Hope you like, as ever any comments welcome

I'm on a bit of a roll with allied WW11 armour at the moment. I have a M4A2 Sherman(Dragon), Chaffee (Hasegawa) and an M7 Priest (for the matchbox campaign) on the go at the mo too.

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
Capt_Concession,

You mean to tell me this is a braille build? I saw this posted outside in the Armor/AFV forums and thought that it was a 35th scale build.

You've done an outstanding job . . . you had me fooled I really believed this was a larger kit! Good to see more people interested in this small scale.

Welcome. Thanks for posting and sharing your build, hoping to see more of your stuff.

-Eddy
Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
Nice looking Crom there Capt! I'm in agreeance with Eddy-thought it was 35th scale too. Welcome to the Braille scale side!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 05:25 PM UTC
Well, Cap'n you've certainly made a splash in this forum. WW II Allied armour hasn't exactly been popular here lately so it's quite something to see a very nice example posted here. Your build and the fine pictures of it are much appreciated and I look forward to seeing more fine creations from you. The pressure is on!

Cheers,
Jan
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments, all.

It's very flattering to be mistaken for a 1/35 build, though I am but a beginner compared to many on here.

I would be interested to know how you guys model tarps in 1/72. I've had really poor results using Milliput or similar.

Does anyone else struggle?

I found foil worked really well - though painting it (without leaving metallic hotspots - look at the pics) is quite difficult

Also, my model has the stowage held 'by magic'! There's no ropes or chains to hold it to the hull. What do you guys use for rope?

Always learning!
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi Captain

I use sewing cotton or thread of an appropriate colour. You can tack it down with a small blob of glue if there is not something actually there to wrap it round.

HTH

Chris
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 07:14 PM UTC
Capt_Concession,

I soak facial tissue with a mixture of water and Elmer's glue-all white glue after forming and tying the tissue into shape with sewing cotton to create the bedrolls. And for the tarps I cut the facial tissue to size first and then soak with the water/glue solution before applying over the desired area. Paint after the tissue has dried. For rope I use the smaller diameter cotton tread for model ship rigging usually found at your local hobby shop. As Chris mentions above just chose the appropriate color.

-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP