Hosted by Darren Baker
HobbyBoss T-34/85
John_D
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
Well, I don't really post much, as I don't have usually too much to say - as you folks' work always leaves me a little speechless.. Anyway - this is a build that I've been working on "off and on" for about six months - and frankly - it's been more "off" than "on"... In fact - I started this kit - got really frustrated with it.. Put it away for a while - then started it - got frustrated.. Well - you know.. As a new guy, this is not a great kit to "learn the ropes on"...

Anyway - about six months later - I'm back "on" this kit again And this time - I will probably get it finished!!! OK - here we go - the pics below are a span of time.....

1) Finally got the hull together and started the very basic color work.. It was rough at this stage:

2) Some engine compartment detail and base colors. Later pics will show where I took it from here:

3) The upper get's almost finished - there are a couple of issues you will see - and I fixed a fe later

4) Some time later - how the interior details are coming along:

5) The inside of the turret - is finally joined together and some detail starts to take shape (the interior bit are complete at this time)

6) Some time later - the final weathering of the engine compartment..

7) And the almost final of the front of the compartment. I did a bit more after this picture:

8) FINALLY - a darker shade of Russian Green is on as a base.. As you'll see - I tried to add/weather lighter shades from some posts/suggestions on this site - and those pictures are shown a few more down from this picture:

9) AHHH - HAAAA!! After working for a while - the step-coloring and weathering starts to come out. The decals have not been matted at this point - so they are lighter. (see comments below). Also - I wanted to keep the "hand-painted" look of the white lines - so all white lines were airbrushed - slightly edge faded while the paint was wet and the top line edges re-painted by a tine brush to give an uneven look..

10) Next step... A few more weathering shades/steps are added...

and

I'm guessing I'm about 85-90% there... Next steps will be to matt varnish - and complete the weathering. Add mud/dust.. Also - I'm thinking of leaving the main components unglued.. Why? Just in case I want to remind myself how many parts and hours are in this thing

My best to all...

John
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 09:30 AM UTC
Very nice,I like the roughed up texture on the turret,oily finish looks great.I say leave it unglued to show off the detail.
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
My sincerest thanks! When it's finally done - I'll post. As well - I just noticed I have less than 10 posts in almost a year of being registered??? Hopefully - I'll finish it faster than I post..??!! Hah!!!

My thanks again!!

John
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Lookin' good, John!

I understand your frustration; I put my HB T34/85 back in the box a while ago. You've gotten a LOT farther than I did.
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Bret..! My thanks!! Actaully - I was slow in replying - because... Well, I was working on this model... As I wait for it to dry down, I sort of like the effect.. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, if I like how I think it's turning out at this point, OK? As well - since I'm just getting back into this - any and all comments/critiques are more than welcome and appreciated...

Anyway - my thanks!

John
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Last pics - about done... My thanks for your comments above!

John

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
What a great build! What did you use for doing the cast texture??
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi Greg!

My thanks!! I really enjoyed doing this - and I can say that - as, after six months, I've been looking forward to saying it for about 5 of those 6 months (See my first post )

Anyway - I used Liquitex flexible modeling paste on the turret. The "seam" was added with a very fine brush using the same material. I used a very thin coat, and after it dries, it does dry hard. As well, I was worried whether it would adhere well when dry, but it was just fine and stayed put as I handled it during the build....

Also a couple of notes..

If you look at the handles for the side tanks - they are incorrect, as the instructions are reversed. Anyway - if you have this kit, watch out to orient the handles properly on the build of the side-tanks!

Also - after the pics, I noticed the final mud effect didn't get into the rear fuel tank ends given the seam around the top. I fixed that, as well as the green overspray inside the top hatch, which is now the correct weathered white....

Anyway - my sincerest thanks again - and I hope this helps!

John
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:13 PM UTC
That just looks great. excellent work. Better late than never!
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Better late than never!

Isn't that for sure!!! Anyway - my thanks!! I'm trying to figure what my next build might be, but, I can say for certain - it won't be this same kit!!!

My thanks again for your comments!

John
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:52 PM UTC
Wow, that looks like a fine kit and a great build! Haven't tried any of the hobby boss kits yet but it sure looks tasty!

Cheers
Stef
 _GOTOTOP