ASLAV-PC Build Log
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC
HI folks,

Since finishing my ASLAV-25, i've wanted to push on and do a PC version of the ASLAV-25.

At QMHE I spent the national deficit of Liberia at the Mouse House stand, and bought pretty much everything they had, PC conversion, and all their little extras, stowage, markings, figures, everything!

The PC kit is a new hull top rear, that requires some careful cutting of the hull top part of the Trumpeter kit, I used the ASLAV Phase III kit, but you can also use the original release LAV-25 kit.

As you can see, there is a little putty here and there, this is a result of me getting the edges dead sharp, I found that some of the edges of the armor plate were a little soft. This is to do with the master, not the caster! I replaced the mounting bosses for the cam net poles and so on with 40 thou rod, and drilled the ends out.

Im doing an Iraq vehicle, hence no brush guards on anything, and all the electronic 'stuff' hanging of the front and back.

Need to straighten the footman loops on the hull side here!

Need to add mounting hardware for the jerry can brackets (they need to be mounted off the hull, on bosses, but I cheated here and glued them straight to the hull for strength)

Not far from paint now, just have to add on a few things, and Im working on some stowage too, and possibly a telescopic command antenna, so stay tuned

Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
Sam
This is getting better and better. So far I see many new things like the gas/water can rack seem to have the cans separate from the rack, some of the indents plates to allow the rear hatches to stay in a fixed position are resin now some PE, the pioneer tools are all separate and they kinda all fit on the stowage rack, you've cast the RWS cans (nicely done) the continuous tie downs seem to be resin or plastic, the muffler is a separate item without the heat guard and one arm of the guy in the back is tan resin. Did you cast these tan bits yourself or are they new things from Jason Miller ACM?
Nice clean build and I look forward to your paint.
Regards
Bill
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sam
This is getting better and better. So far I see many new things like the gas/water can rack seem to have the cans separate from the rack, some of the indents plates to allow the rear hatches to stay in a fixed position are resin now some PE, the pioneer tools are all separate and they kinda all fit on the stowage rack, you've cast the RWS cans (nicely done) the continuous tie downs seem to be resin or plastic, the muffler is a separate item without the heat guard and one arm of the guy in the back is tan resin. Did you cast these tan bits yourself or are they new things from Jason Miller ACM?
Nice clean build and I look forward to your paint.
Regards
Bill

HI Bill, thanks!

All the greeny resin stuff are bits that Jason sent me down to complete this Iraqi theatre car. I destroyed the engine deck that came with the PC conversion, so he kindly sent me a replacement. The exhaust he sent because I needed one sans brush guards, and it was easier to hassle him than modify the resin kit part

The jerries and their rack are from an upcoming ACM kit, as are the tools and continuous tie downs - again, stay tuned! The RWS cans are Jason's own masters, cast beautifully by him, and will form part of my stowage for this vehicle. I'll be doing one with sandbags wrapped in spall liners, which should be fun!

SD
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:50 AM UTC
Sam
So that's what Jason has been up to eh? Very nice work, I especially like the jerry cans and the rack being separate excellent work,his new casting system seems to have paid off. I look forward to this (these) new release(s).
Bill
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Great work Sam,

are those tie downs styrene ? They look like it...

Cheers

Paul
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:55 PM UTC
yah, put me down for 2-3 feet of those footman loops. Some real nice casting there.

Nice work Sam!
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC
this build looks impressive, how long to get to this stage out of interest
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 06:06 PM UTC
Very Impressive. I wish I could see the photos leading up to it.
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Impressive. I wish I could see the photos leading up to it.

Thanks, ask and ye shall receive!

Thats all I have really of pre-in prog shots.

Probably took no more than 10 hours to where I am now.

SD
Heatseeker64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:05 AM UTC
Cool! What are you using for the non slip surface?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
Really nice build, love the busy look.

cheers
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
BIG skip forward on this one!

Paint on, a mix of White Ensign Models and gunze. The decals were custom made for my by Jason Miller - the silvering on them is operator error, not anything to do with the decals themselves! Im working on a fix for this at present..

Just started weathering now.

THis vehicle im depicting I dont think actually went to Iraq, the shots i have of it are in Australia, but i couldnt go past the name of the vehicle.. also its doesnt have the MG set up I used, rather the .50 flex mount.. still, i LOVE the name.

SD
specmod
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
Gidday Sam, looking really nice mate, is this gonna be at the Melbourne comp,as with your ASLAV, would love to see these in the flesh. Top stuff
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
HI all,

Im still plugging away on this one. I've started work on some sandbag stowage - It was common to see sandbags wrapped in spall liners used to add some blast and bullet protection for the guys in the air guard hatches.

I fashioned these from 2 part epoxy putty, both Aves Apoxy Sculpt and Games Workshop green putty. Ignore the yellow Tamiya tape straps, these will be added latter from putty, tape was used to get the indentation from the straps.

The real thing:

These may turn up in resin at some point too

SD
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:09 PM UTC
Awesome work sam! looking great, especially the spall liner/sand bag combo. (seen enough sand bags to last me a lifetime with all this flooding!)

I might have seen you at QMHE, i bought around $400 worth of MHE/ACM stuff while i was there!

What colors did you use for the lav?
Austmouse
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 07:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome work sam! looking great, especially the spall liner/sand bag combo. (seen enough sand bags to last me a lifetime with all this flooding!)

I might have seen you at QMHE, i bought around $400 worth of MHE/ACM stuff while i was there!

What colors did you use for the lav?

Matt
heck this out for official colours
http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Camo/OZCAM2.htm

We sell an authentic Olive drab lustreless mathced to the real thing

Don't know what he used FYI

John M
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:02 AM UTC
thanks John. I have a tin of the WEM LOD, and need to get a few more tins.
 _GOTOTOP