Hosted by Darren Baker
foliage and hedgerows
Gordon234
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hello!I am currently constructing a diorama using some of those delightful Woodland Scenics trees. When I have glued the foliage to the tree trunks and set the trees into the diorama, I would like to add some tiny leaf bits, etc beneath the trees on the ground, as well as up on the tree itself, using what I can find. ( including perhaps some spices, bits of parsley, etc... from the kitchen cupboard.)
Now, to hold this leaf litter in postion, would hairspray do the trick? Other suggestions?
Also, to represent the bocage region of Normandy ( I have a King Tiger that would be ideal for this location ), would rows of Woodland Scenics brush and foliage do, or would a crumbling stone wall be good to add as well? If so, any recommendations as to 1/35 stone wall producers? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me!
Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
Well this is the place to find your answers. I would get a copy of Shep Paines book on"Building Dioramas". Great place to start and get your feet wet and grow. Remember if it starts to feel like work, take a break and do some reading on the subject Have a good one!
kondor
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
A book that I have found to be filled with excellent info is Osprey Masterclass "Terrain
Modelling" by Richard Windrow.
It is a 128 page hard cover book with lots of photos and how to articles.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC
I used a 50/50 mix of white glue ( Lepages ) and water to glue down my leaf litter .( I used tea leaves) This mixture goes on white but drys clear. Model railroad stores should have a supply of hydro-cal cast walls in various scales , these can be cut to fit your scene . Or there are Plastruc plastic sheets in various scales that look like field stone. You could also try a wall patch compond called Spackle ( as morter )used with gravel ( field stones ) and make your own .
 _GOTOTOP